Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Riding the Wave with Reef Casa: My Studio 12 Saltwater Build 🌊

banasophia

On 2/3/2023 at 12:26 PM, TheKleinReef said:

Wish I could help, I got my first two gorgonians ever a few weeks ago and one seems to be doing okay? The other came super stressed and it seems to be recovering but I have 0 clue. 😆

Mine like flow and light the most.  A little probiotic (coral frenzy, benepets, coral sprint) keeps mine stupid fluffy.  But I found lotsa flow & lotsa light had the biggest effect.  Took them 2-3 weeks to really settle in, but they look obscene now.  I'll try to get a good pic, but the heavy flow tends to make for blurry shots.

image.thumb.jpeg.956d21fb88147874b697a9427584d484.jpeg

• Like 3

So the new corals are awesome but now I’m on to the next fun challenge… looks like probably cyano. Started chemi-clean treatment tonight in this tank and my Biocube 32.

CE86A0E2-40E8-41F0-B7CA-4FC8262F7268.thumb.jpeg.7aabaec107e5bb6fd48b62fbcf41649c.jpeg

And none of the emeralds in the tank want to clean the sea fan, so I moved one over from the Evo 5 yesterday since one of the three in there was on the sea fan when I got it. Here she is today, contemplating her life’s purpose, she climbed up there on her own:

2417CD0B-8364-420A-99AE-EEE1DD4813B1.thumb.jpeg.063ecdf3036dc386e35010750ebbb4a8.jpeg

You can do it, little crab! I believe in you!! The sea fan needs you!

• Sad 1

Thanks, @PJPS for the bumblebee snail inspiration. Transferred one from my Biocube 32 into this tank to try to help avoid a vermetid infestation here. Can you spot it (or stripe it, as the case may be)?

7C9B85FE-17A8-4F08-B8B1-10B012F7E84B.thumb.jpeg.36f279013539d51b3b18411de3c54457.jpeg

Marshall, my yellow banded possum wrasse… named by my daughter after Eminem (whose real name is Marshall Mathers)… he’s so awesome. He’s a really active fish, and not at all shy like I had expected… he zips around the tank all day long.

A34864FF-1683-4E49-BBF0-65EB412425C4.thumb.jpeg.940638d6e7f87684a0ff20b9a281e92e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just finished my first water change after doing the first maintenance on my 7 stage RODI filter from BRS… I’ve had the filter for 3 years… curious to see if there’s any change in my tanks… salt is still Red Sea Coral Pro. 

I manually rubbed the algae off the sea fan, which was what I did right before it started opening up before… let’s hope it works again. 

I had to re-glue my pink candy cane tonight because I bumped it loose. And I was able to pry my green mushrooms off the scape with a butter knife and reposition them further from the acan because I was worried about potential warfare between the two of them if they grew too close. 

• Like 1

That possum wrasse is adorbs 🥰 That wouldve been my other option if my LFS didn't have winston the pink-streaked 🙂

How's that bumblebee snail working out?  Ever hear of them going after hydroids?? (asking for a friend.......)

• Thanks 1
Just now, ml86743 said:

That possum wrasse is adorbs 🥰 That wouldve been my other option if my LFS didn't have winston the pink-streaked 🙂

How's that bumblebee snail working out?  Ever hear of them going after hydroids?? (asking for a friend.......)

How do you find the pink streak?  I was worried they were as mean as a 6 line, but pink.  I’ve heard both that it’s tame and aggressive.  I feel bad putting a chill possum wrasse in SPS flow, want a tiny wrasse, but don’t want a bully.  So my choice is a pink streak, or no wrasse 🤞🏼

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, PJPS said:

How do you find the pink streak?  I was worried they were as mean as a 6 line, but pink.  I’ve heard both that it’s tame and aggressive.  I feel bad putting a chill possum wrasse in SPS flow, want a tiny wrasse, but don’t want a bully.  So my choice is a pink streak, or no wrasse 🤞🏼

Winston is a SAINT.  The guy (or girl lol) wouldn't hurt a fly.  I've read multiple times that their disposition is always peaceful, if anything they would be prone to being bullied. 

Got really lucky finding one at an LFS too.  I've only ever seen them on Live Aquaria. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ml86743 said:

Thanks, Marshall is such an outgoing and active fish… my pink streak was really shy and I hardly saw her.

As for the bumblebee snail, it’s fine… I don’t have any vermetid snails in this tank that I’ve seen yet, hope it stays that way. Not sure about whether they will eat hydroids.

But as far as hydroid eradication goes, I had a severe case of them in my Biocube 16. Not sure if you have the same kind. I found that emerald crabs and wedge sea hares eat them, especially sea hares. I have YouTube videos showing them in action… let me see if I can find them.

Love the view of this tank from my spot on the couch:

21C401ED-1B9A-4E73-A043-7F88B58ADA71.thumb.jpeg.8fee9631fcc0bcf03f05651e93d82c1b.jpeg

Three different candy canes so far and thinking it could be kinda cool to add one more type, we’ll see what varieties I find at my LFSs. Candy canes are so easy and beautiful, and Hank loves them. 

Oh yeah, and the theme song for this tank:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
6 hours ago, banasophia said:

These vids are encouraging!  That species looks pretty similar to mine.  Very small little branching guys, almost look "fuzzy" on the rock.  Yours may be a hair larger. Did you notice any ill-affects from their presence?  Oddly enough, I have two zoa frags that are caked with them but the zoas act as if they aren't even there.  Full PE and great color/growth. 

Any leads on where to find the wedge sea hare?

• Like 1

First of all, I got such a scare this morning… Hank was on the sandbed when I got up and he almost never sits or sleeps on the sandbed. I had the uv on last night, powerhead and airstone were off, I had adjusted the heater right before going to bed because it was running a little low… anyway, I turned the uv off, airstone and powerhead back on, and he seems to be fine, lights are still out.

77B8864F-8BF6-4A73-9DDB-C54305BF435C.thumb.jpeg.16e8ef4adc385ec5a00aa660bda10e76.jpeg

And here’s some good news… it appears the sea fan is shedding and starting to open back up. Also, check out the clove’s stolon, or whatever their runners are called, growing out into the water looking for a surface to spread to (right corner).

E1BC61B1-BED8-4244-9EBC-01A21F92BA0B.thumb.jpeg.4b08d48cca612f9d2b53e5725ea1a029.jpeg

3 hours ago, ml86743 said:

These vids are encouraging!  That species looks pretty similar to mine.  Very small little branching guys, almost look "fuzzy" on the rock.  Yours may be a hair larger. Did you notice any ill-affects from their presence?  Oddly enough, I have two zoa frags that are caked with them but the zoas act as if they aren't even there.  Full PE and great color/growth. 

Any leads on where to find the wedge sea hare?

Yeah they used to sting some types of corals… I’d have to look back in my Biocube 16 thread for details though, it has been a while. 

I get sea hares from my LFSs… drip acclimate and usually only keep them for a week then return/rehome or they will starve without tons of GHA to eat. I adore them!! I used to name them Waldo because they are so well camouflaged in a tank. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Best news I have read today. 

11 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

woohoo, glad its opening up! I'm always so worried about NPS coral! this is encouraging. 

Thanks so much guys, yes, I am really hoping this coral will make it. It’s even more open tonight, though I’m still having a tough time photographing the tank with the new iPad… even with the new app and the clip on. 

575395E0-79ED-4738-BD84-C5E47544E5F0.thumb.jpeg.ad4c52d1746fc3a4dd2ffba21450fc23.jpeg

2 hours ago, ml86743 said:

OOOOOO look at dat fan 🙂  and the Marshal (Marshall? one or two L's?) photobomb!

Thanks! Yeah he’s totally a photobomber. Marshall after Eminem's real name; he’s named by my daughter.

550C526A-69A3-49FA-9BB4-0FD7710B1AD3.thumb.jpeg.bc2d2388cbdf33bb00eda6e15b75e9c2.jpeg

I don’t know what’s going on that Hank is sleeping on the sandbed again. I do have several emeralds in the tank… maybe they are bothering him during the night. You can see there’s one that hangs out in the rock right by Hanks favorite candy cane.

C0333396-F01F-4008-A76A-17B2D671DE6F.thumb.jpeg.5a0beadd2317b19ee1f1e8ca83efa644.jpeg

• Like 1
  • banasophia changed the title to Riding the Wave with Reef Casa: My Studio 12 Saltwater Build 🌊