Top Shelf Aquatics

Riding the Wave with Reef Casa: My Studio 12 Saltwater Build 🌊

banasophia

Hi Friends! Just wanted to get this build thread going… I’ll plan to return to add more to this initial post. 

I finally opened up the package from Reef Casa yesterday and I was so excited to find that they had sent not just the Studio 12 tank, but the full saltwater setup which has pretty much everything someone would need to set up a saltwater nano tank right out of the box. It looks amazing!

I had decided to take this opportunity to figure out YouTube, so I spent the last couple days trying to figure out how to film and edit a YouTube video. Lots of how to videos I watched said to just dive in and post what you come up with and that your videos will get better and better and “less cringey” with practice, so bear with me, hopefully I will improve. I was so nervous and there’s definitely a major learning curve!

97895A39-7DA1-46EC-B6BF-B33D06670CEE.thumb.jpeg.750213a24a76417de835c3a5238fecf9.jpeg

E343EDC2-B4DA-468B-9062-8AE29B54BECC.thumb.jpeg.e64db30d2847ae9205a7dad1ad10beb7.jpeg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, banasophia said:

I finally opened up the package from Reef Casa yesterday and I was so excited to find that they had sent not just the Studio 12 tank, but the full saltwater setup which has pretty much everything someone would need to set up a saltwater nano tank right out of the box. It looks amazing!

I think this is the most complete set up for beginners that I have seen to date.  I am so happy that you got it and started a journal. Plus, u-tube! Is there such a thing as a reef star? well there is now!

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Reef Casa said:

This video brought a tear to me eye 😄so good !!!!!

Oh man, you must have been waiting that whole week to hear my surprise that you decided to send me the full kit rather than just the tank and light! I was not expecting that at all - thanks again! 😊🤗 I didn’t even know when I was filming my comments at the beginning!

5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I think this is the most complete set up for beginners that I have seen to date.  I am so happy that you got it and started a journal. Plus, u-tube! Is there such a thing as a reef star? well there is now!

Yes, it looks like a great option for beginners… it should take out a lot of the guesswork and trial and error. I think one of the things that was really challenging when I started out was all the seemingly contradictory information, and all the different methods/options. There are just so many ways to start up and run a reef tank… this could really streamline the startup process. 

Thank you both for your support re: the YouTube! Hope to get better at it, seems like a fun thing to learn. My teenager came in and started hamming it up when I was recording… I may need to get her involved! 

@Reef Casa, what can you tell me about the beneficial bacteria and ammonium chloride you include in your kit? Is it a particular brand that is specially packaged for the kit?

It looks like both components are measured out to be just the right amount for the 12 gallon setup? So do you add the full bottle of ammonium chloride all at once, then add the full bottle of beneficial bacteria? 

Got the tank up and running on Saturday - loving the look of it!

78AE58A6-AE1E-4FBD-AFF8-0911DEFB616E.thumb.jpeg.2be54b0563013a67b17caa5389845f05.jpeg

Here’s my new YouTube video showing the setup; it includes a peek at the back chambers if you want to see the filtration system:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

A star is born. This is a great set up video. Fun and informative. Step by step that anyone can follow.

Thanks, Deb, you are so sweet! 🤗 Definitely think I should keep my day job, but I’m having fun with it!! Hoping it will be helpful for someone. 

Whew! 😅 This little tank is having tons of evaporation! I can barely keep up with manual topping off… I’m using distilled water for the top offs. It probably seems especially dramatic to me since I’m used to my Biocubes, which have no significant evaporation between water changes because of their lids. This tank has pretty high flow and has a mesh lid, so I’m thinking both of those things may contribute.

Plus we are using our fireplace a lot so it is getting pretty toasty and dry in here. On the bright side, the evaporation will probably help keep the temperature in the normal range for this tank due to evaporative cooling. It has been holding pretty steady at 78 degrees per the digital thermometer that came with the kit. 

FD1A533C-C63D-4EA7-A47B-817E9CF1805B.thumb.jpeg.5257e2f1c9258f7fd981085a3256d01b.jpeg

I ordered an ATO last night and it arrives tomorrow… I guess I know what I’ll do for my next video - evaporation, topping off, and setting up the ATO. 😁

On 11/8/2022 at 6:39 PM, xreaper93 said:

Can't wait for this build! I love my Studio 12

Thanks for following along! Do you have a build thread for yours? I’d love to check it out!

Good morning from a wet Floridian! Which ATO did you get. I have only used autoAqua smart micro. I was checking out the XP duet at premium aquatics  $129 on sale for $99. It had mixed reviews so I passed and didn’t order it.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Good morning from a wet Floridian! Which ATO did you get. I have only used autoAqua smart micro. I was checking out the XP duet at premium aquatics  $129 on sale for $99. It had mixed reviews so I passed and didn’t order it.

If I was in the market for an ATO, seeing those reviews, I likely wouldn't buy one either. But, I already own 4 of them that range in age of 2-4 years and they've all been great. Maybe I got lucky. You also have to consider they have probably sold thousands of these and happy buyers generally don't leave reviews. A person that has had a bad experience is much more likely to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

How are you faring through the storm? Looks like it has been really bad, I hope you are safe.

I’ve also used the AutoAqua Smart Micro on my other tanks, which has worked great, but I couldn’t find it on Amazon.

So I ordered this one, which I think is the one you guys are talking about:

D26A26EE-0150-434E-864F-9FC1A9D033F3.thumb.jpeg.bc9053648f61abe39f93c5ef5b209807.jpeg

16 hours ago, MrP said:

If I was in the market for an ATO, seeing those reviews, I likely wouldn't buy one either. But, I already own 4 of them that range in age of 2-4 years and they've all been great. Maybe I got lucky. You also have to consider they have probably sold thousands of these and happy buyers generally don't leave reviews. A person that has had a bad experience is much more likely to. 

Good to know yours have all worked well… are they the same as the one I ordered? If so, any tips or tricks for setting it up I should know? 

On 11/10/2022 at 4:24 AM, banasophia said:

Whew! 😅 This little tank is having tons of evaporation! I can barely keep up with manual topping off… I’m using distilled water for the top offs. It probably seems especially dramatic to me since I’m used to my Biocubes, which have no significant evaporation between water changes because of their lids. This tank has pretty high flow and has a mesh lid, so I’m thinking both of those things may contribute.

Plus we are using our fireplace a lot so it is getting pretty toasty and dry in here. On the bright side, the evaporation will probably help keep the temperature in the normal range for this tank due to evaporative cooling. It has been holding pretty steady at 78 degrees per the digital thermometer that came with the kit. 

FD1A533C-C63D-4EA7-A47B-817E9CF1805B.thumb.jpeg.5257e2f1c9258f7fd981085a3256d01b.jpeg

I ordered an ATO last night and it arrives tomorrow… I guess I know what I’ll do for my next video - evaporation, topping off, and setting up the ATO. 😁

I also noticed significant evaporation with this tank! My evo 5g had a 1L upside down water bottle ATO that lasted like 3-4 days. Now it only lasts 1 day at best. Definitely need to invest in an ATO! Doesn't help that I don't have a lid of any sort. No clue what I'll use as a container though.

On 11/10/2022 at 4:27 AM, banasophia said:

Thanks for following along! Do you have a build thread for yours? I’d love to check it out!

I have mine on R2R.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/not-without-problems-reef-casa-studio-12-mixed-reef.921050/page-8

• Like 1
7 hours ago, xreaper93 said:

I also noticed significant evaporation with this tank! My evo 5g had a 1L upside down water bottle ATO that lasted like 3-4 days. Now it only lasts 1 day at best. Definitely need to invest in an ATO! Doesn't help that I don't have a lid of any sort. No clue what I'll use as a container though.

I have mine on R2R.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/not-without-problems-reef-casa-studio-12-mixed-reef.921050/page-8

Your tank looks great and your fish are stunning! What a beautiful clownfish pair, and I love your yasha goby too. 

I use a 32 cup storage dispenser sold at Walmart often called a cereal container.

Nice, do you have a pic? 

I use these jugs for storing/carrying water and also use one for my ATO reservoir.

D61D1B5C-B07F-462C-89CB-043495657D4F.thumb.jpeg.a0a8b4240dfc0e5b6edc07ac4f381de9.jpeg

Funny that all three of us were running/are running Fluval Evo 5’s as well!

• Like 2

We’ve got the new tank sand residue phase going on… I remember these days with the Biocube 16… before I had an algae scraper to clean it off… I guess I can go ahead and clean the glass, but it’s kinda fun to just take things slowly and enjoy every step. 

965616B4-0FB0-4EF2-8342-2B9C7257D761.thumb.jpeg.14c3d9af291d5419a98eb5653f7c580f.jpeg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, banasophia said:

Your tank looks great and your fish are stunning! What a beautiful clownfish pair, and I love your yasha goby too. 

Nice, do you have a pic? 

I use these jugs for storing/carrying water and also use one for my ATO reservoir.

D61D1B5C-B07F-462C-89CB-043495657D4F.thumb.jpeg.a0a8b4240dfc0e5b6edc07ac4f381de9.jpeg

Funny that all three of us were running/are running Fluval Evo 5’s as well!

Thank you! The fish are all new additions in the last week or so. Super happy with them!

• Like 1

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh I love that! Thanks so much for posting pics!! Nice and narrow and it’s great that it’s clear so you can see the water level!! And presumably it’s food grade plastic and won’t leach anything since it’s made for storing cereal. 

• Like 1
  • banasophia changed the title to Riding the Wave with Reef Casa: My Studio 12 Saltwater Build 🌊