Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

any tips on feeding fish?

Amnemonemomne

Amnemonemomne

Got some fish for my 10G yesterday, does anyone have any tips to feeding for first time? I tried feeding one of them but he didn't seem interested, is there a way i can make it so that the fish eats it or do i have to buy something else?

What fish is it, and what food? How did you try to feed? 

New fish often don't eat for a bit. They're scared and need time to adjust. Make sure you have enough hiding places (more hiding places than fish), and leave them alone. 

• Like 1
Amnemonemomne

9 minutes ago, Tired said:

What fish is it, and what food? How did you try to feed? 

New fish often don't eat for a bit. They're scared and need time to adjust. Make sure you have enough hiding places (more hiding places than fish), and leave them alone. 

I got a sharknose goby and a tiger goby but the tigergoby has been hiding and in the tiny crevices of my main rock (sharknose goby too). I fed Piscine pellet food and tried to sink the pellets near the gobies hole, when they weren't eaten i just scooped them up with a turkey baster

tidepooldreamer
48 minutes ago, Amnemonemomne said:

I got a sharknose goby and a tiger goby but the tigergoby has been hiding and in the tiny crevices of my main rock (sharknose goby too). I fed Piscine pellet food and tried to sink the pellets near the gobies hole, when they weren't eaten i just scooped them up with a turkey baster

It can take some time for new fish to adjust to eating pellets as I understand it. Could you try frozen or live foods to help entice them?

Ask the LFS (or wherever you got them) what they were feeding, then try that. Frozen mysis is probably a good bet, particularly as tiny fish can't go long without eating.

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask what kind of fish you have, and what kind of food you give it. This is important, since the food may not fit some criteria for your fish if the food is very large or the wrong variety

Amnemonemomne
On 11/2/2022 at 5:21 PM, Amnemonemomne said:

I got a sharknose goby and a tiger goby

I feed frozen mysis, hoping to feed them pellets instead sometime later. Though the sooner the better

Experienced breeders are increasingly leaning towards ready-made diets for underwater pets. The modern pet industry offers a vast selection of factory feed. Granular mixes are especially popular. The product is a dried mixture of components. An additional advantage of such products is the perfect balance and adaptation to a particular type of fish. Most experienced breeders are inclined to think that one feeding per day is enough for the fish, although some insist on two meals a day. It is also desirable to purchase an automatic fish feeder that will independently feed the fish in the right volume and quantity because it is very easy to forget to feed the fish a couple of times, and they will simply die.

The vast majority of reef fish will not die if you forget to feed them a couple of times. Heck, the vast majority of animals won't die if you forget to feed them a couple of times. 

• Like 1