Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Downgrading from 55G to 15G with HOB filter

JustKkyle

Firstly hi all! First post on the forum and I will be dedicating this thread to my build.

A little bit about me, I've been in the hobby for two years with good success on a 55G mixed reef, I've had many more years behind me in freshwater. I plan on shutting down my main display tank and setting up a this nano, mainly due to space requirements and the current energy crisis in the UK costing me too much to maintain the larger tank.

The tank will be SPS dominant with maybe a couple softies and LPS
Initial Equipment:
  • Cube tank 40x40x40cm - 55L(14.5 US Gal)
  • SeaChem Tidal 55 or 75 HOB filter. Leaning towards the larger as it will create more surface agitation for gas exchange and hopefully keep PH stable
  • Ai Prime 16 HD Light (one for now with plans for a second as the tank grows out)
  • Ai Nero 3 Powerhead
  • 55w heater 
  • D-D Digital Temp controller unit
  • D-D P1 Pro doser, dosing Tropic Marin AFR
  • Tunze 5017 Auto Top off

I had FOLR before in this cube tank and didnt have high nutrients (the opposite actually) with two clowns and a prawn goby so hopefully same this time around.
Nutrient control will be a combination of weekly water changes, low stocking levels, and whatever chemical media I may add to the HOB to remove Phos or Nitrate.

Fish stocking:
  • Pistol Shrimp
  • Orange spotted prawn Goby
  • Tailspot Blenny
  • Yellow coral goby
The fish have been living in my current display and are all healthy and thriving.

I'll also be using cycled rock from the tank shut down.

Anything I am missing?

• Like 1

Have you calculated how much energy is your tank using?
I am based in Ireland and some local reefers with 300-400liter systems have said that it cost them under 10quid a week in electricity to run their tanks. Equipment these days is fairly energy efficient compared to older times. you may not even need to downgrade?

but if you do. I personally go for an All-in-one system, Waterbox has a nice 10 and 20gallon cubes (or you could go DIY route). But i must be a bit bias, I have their 15g peninsula and love the build quality.

If you go for an all-in-one you could keep your heater and other clutter out of the way which will be more visually pleasing.

Also, instead of using two primes, you could look into second hand hydra? i have seen a couple on ebay at good value. But it is understandable if you wouldn't want to go second hand route as it is a bit risky and buying brand new would be much more expensive

• 2 weeks later...