ReefCleaners.org

New to nanos. 150w mh ?

kali77

Hello all,

I am new to keeping nano tanks, however am in the middle of planning my first tank. I was thinking of going with a

16x16x16 cube. I was planning on using a 150w reef optix pendant with a 14.5 megachrome de bulb. I was planning on having an open top, and hanging the pendant 13-15 inches above the water. Do you think I will have any heat issues with this. I will not be using a sump. I will only be using an aquaclear 30 and two maxi jet 600 for circulation. Weekly water changes and dosing b ionic. Thanks for your help in advance.

Gene

You typically wont have heat issues with a pendant. The heat should be dispersed fairly readily and it's not like there is a hood enclosing the lights above the water.

I would try to keep the temp of the tank at 82 using a heater. Worst case scenario, the temp swing wont be so bad. Also, if your room has AC, your set!!!

I'm waiting for patiently for the mailman to deliver my 150w, I have a 70w currently. Mine will be mounted in an enclosed hood. I've got a high speed fan to cool it down.

That is also hung prbly way to high, and I would checkk the price of those bulbs before being set on them-unless you have a cheaper source, they are around $90, which is $30 more than the second best PAR output bulb, whcih is an xm 10k. I would reconmend more like 6-8 inches, at the most, but most people here set them up to be adjustable (including myself). Heat shouldn't be a prblm, and if it is add some fans.

Samc,

Thank you for the info. I really like the megachrome bulbs, and am set on them. I will definately make the height adjustable. I see you are also in Maryland. What part? Iam outside Annapolis.

Great!! Frag trades here we come. I am in Lusby, MD. Thats only about 45 mins south, depending how far crofton is exactly. I like the megachrome bulbs as well, its just that nearly $100 on a bulb is a little on the expensive side!

Sam

Definately interested in frag trades. I have quite a few connections that have some really rare corals that I will be getting my hands on. This tank is only going to have some real choice pieces in it. It will most likely be a few months before I am up and running and then another few months before it is time to trade. I will pm you when the time comes.

Gene

Archived