Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Idiot's guide to creating a striking Scape?

InAtTheDeepEnd

InAtTheDeepEnd

Just wondering if anyone could help me with some pointers on building a striking Scape from a pile of rocks. Whilst experienced enough in constructing freshwater/tropical aquascapes I'm still very new to using rocks and building marine scapes, but want my new reef set to to look good: it's currently just a pile of cycled rock, though the inhabitants all seem very happy and the parameters are spot on where I want them to be. 

PXL_20221020_084820397.NIGHT.jpg

Not sure you want my input because I am the worst at aquascaping. My first thought is to add a little more rock so you can increase the height on about one half of the current scape. Right now, it is almost the same height across the entire scape. I think looking in the tank the left side being a few inches taller would be more interesting.

InAtTheDeepEnd
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Not sure you want my input because I am the worst at aquascaping. My first thought is to add a little more rock so you can increase the height on about one half of the current scape. Right now, it is almost the same height across the entire scape. I think looking in the tank the left side being a few inches taller would be more interesting.

Oh yeah nothing about how it is right now is permanent, I should've said - I literally just bunged my rock in any which way. 

• Like 1
InAtTheDeepEnd

To be honest I'm thinking I might just peruse Pinterest and spend a few hours tomorrow having a play around. The critters don't care what it looks so long as they get fed 😂 but it matters to me so I want to get it right

• Like 1

There are a bunch of aquascaping youtubes out there, so I’d start with a search for some videos on the topic.

Remember that it’s really important to look at any scape you come up with from the top down, to make sure the light will be able to hit all the corals.

Also make sure you keep plenty of room around the perimeter for water flow, being able to stir/siphon the sand, and being able to get a scraper in to clean the glass regularly.

It can be good to build up the scape so you have some higher areas that will get more PAR from the light to grow higher light loving corals, and also leave a bit of room on the sandbed for sandbed corals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1