Innovative Marine Aquariums

Not a Reno but a Remake

InAtTheDeepEnd

InAtTheDeepEnd

Dismantled and said goodbye my 5g reef that was my introduction to marine aquarium keeping today.

All sand, CUC, corals and some of the larger parts of the hardscape have been moved into my larger 40cm cube tank (64litres/16USG), which itself already housed several bumblebee and nassarius snails and bristle worms. To this I've now added the strombus snail, cowries, hermit crabs, bristle worms and related cnidarians, and as much of the booming columbellidae as I could, from the smaller tank. It's a bit murky from the sand, but I cheated and used the old water for the sake of retaining the current parameters as close as possible - though it's not something I usually bother with when moving tanks about - and as a result the corals haven't been as as sulky as I feared they'd be.

Current hardware is a 200watt interpet delta therm heater, nicrew 50w hyperreef LED light, and the pump is a random spare I found in a cabinet under my 6ft tank 😂 

Thought a new journal for this was in order, anyway; it's now my only full marine tank. Various factors have pushed me to go from two saltwater tanks, one brackish, seven freshwater and a koi pond to one marine, one brackish, five freshwater tanks and the pond. 

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
InAtTheDeepEnd

so as an explanation to the photos, few months ago I upsized the reef to a 16g, but then a combination of factors - got sacked so couldn't get RO as easily & health issues that made dragging big containers of water around hard, and money woes - encouraged me to downsize again to a shallow 5g. Corals, sand, rock, critters, pump, heater and light, and water from the old set up (simply because I had no RO at the time to mix up fresh saltwater) were moved across in one go, then I gave it 2 days to clear and 'scaped' it (if you can call it that). Because it is by a window and generally keep nutrients in the system high, I had persistent green water issues still however, but cleared this up with a 3 day black out. From then on it's been - knock on wood - quite plain sailing. The corals are appreciating the shallower tank for sure and I am finding the maintenance much, much easier, doing 20 - 30% every few weeks and every few days topping up with RO to maintain a salinity of 1.026. I target feed salifert coral food to the corals and throw some frozen meaty food for the critters (a hermit, lots of bristleworms, dove snails, 3 nassarius, 2 cowries, and a strombus snail) about twice a week. 

PXL_20221128_093454953.jpg

PXL_20221211_191939253.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20221205_092328977.MP.jpg

PXL_20221205_203657872.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 5
InAtTheDeepEnd

Oh and good news, sherbet the hermit isn't dead!!! 🙂PXL_20221225_184747544.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.d00bb01d6b41bc1130d25cdf6c6eff9d.jpg

Some other critter shots ..... Dove snails are breeding haha, zoas have more heads popping up than my reflection after 6 snowballs ..... The jasmine clove might look sad AF but it was thrown by sherbet late October, which coincided with me having a really bad depressive episode and doing no maintenance of any sort on this tank for 5 weeks (not even topping up!)

Miraculously nothing died. But over a month upside down on the sand bed didn't do the jasmine clove any favours. Happy it's not recovering. 

PXL_20221225_184707154.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20221225_184354959.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20221225_184322930.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20221225_184303813.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20221225_184217302.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
InAtTheDeepEnd

managed to push through depression slump to wc reef today. was aiming to do 10-20% every 2 weeks but haven't been managing it. everything looks ok though, even the montis have perked up now they're higher up/getting more light. zoas and pavona growing like weeds as usual

in the process of upgrading my brackish tank from 70 litre to 260 litre and was going to move fish/shrimp+filter across today but ran out of energy and went back to bed (lol)

• Like 1
On 2/2/2023 at 9:28 AM, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

managed to push through depression slump to wc reef today. was aiming to do 10-20% every 2 weeks but haven't been managing it. everything looks ok though, even the montis have perked up now they're higher up/getting more light. zoas and pavona growing like weeds as usual

in the process of upgrading my brackish tank from 70 litre to 260 litre and was going to move fish/shrimp+filter across today but ran out of energy and went back to bed (lol)

I’d love to see more pics of your pavona when you get a chance… very pretty one! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...