Coral Vue Hydros

Frogfish tank mates

bek

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but here we go. I have yet to get a frogfish, but I really want one at some point. I'm doing research on them, but I can't find a direct answer to one thing that I want to know:

Can you put multiple female frogfish in the same tank? And if so, how many?

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

I'm certainly no expert, and have never kept one before but: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/420385-frogfish-anglers/

They have been reported as able to eat fish nearly its own size.  So its tank mates should be non-aggressive and larger than it is; avoiding triggers or puffers, which have been known to eat their lure (illicium).

To be honest, I'm not really sure.  I believe the males are significantly smaller than the females.  Keeping a true pair is probably possible, given that they are well fed.  That might not be the case with different species.  It's a predator and I suppose that the larger fish could potentially eat the smaller one.  IDK, it might be safest to keep just one.  You could always keep a larger peaceful fish with it.

Edit: I'd probably listen to GobyBryant, who has kept them before.

Edited by seabass

I have had a few and yes they will pretty much eat anything thats about there size or smaller.......... I had a few damsels that survived but I think the frogfish was lazy as it knew other snacks would come............ 

• Like 1