Innovative Marine Aquariums

Deb’s Studio 12 Aquarium

debbeach13

I mix instant ocean and reef crystals 50/50.

The sand will probably be dirty soon. It didn't have any fish until 2/24/23. I was only feeding the corals very little. Now the tank is getting fed every day, over fed to make sure those little fish eat. I keep forgetting to give them a little something in the morning. So, supper time I overfeed. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

One of the goby's jumped out of the tank last night. I found him next to the tank this morning. So sad:(

Oh noooo! So sorry Deb 

• Thanks 1
On 10/12/2022 at 9:26 AM, debbeach13 said:

First things first. 
A big shout out and Thank you to  reefcasa.com for this wonderful set up.

This kit came with the tank, pump / plumbing for the pump, a RFG, filter media and a halo light!. I filled the tank yesterday using RO bottled water from Walmart and used a mix of half instant ocean and half reef crystals. Mixed in the tank. 

image.jpg

63E32B92-5194-4B1E-992B-ADD5D4B94B72.jpeg

Never heard of ReefCasa but loving the looks of their stuff. Msy have to give that light and the frag tank a try. Your build is looking awesome!

• Thanks 1
Snow_Phoenix
17 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

One of the goby's jumped out of the tank last night. I found him next to the tank this morning. So sad:(

Sorry to hear this! Sucks when they find the tiniest of gaps/holes through the lid and decide to go carpet-surfing. 😞 

• Agree 1
Snow_Phoenix

After feeding the tank. The lid was over the tank but not seated properly. So, probably my fault. I feel terrible.

It's not your fault, Deb. I've done the same mistake several times and lost fish several times this way. Sometimes in a rush, I place the lids over the tank so quickly that I miss out a tiny gap between the lid and the rim of the tank. And I'm not sure how, but some fish have a tendency to *find this gap at *that time and arrow straight out of it. Normally it's tiny gobies, but from my experience, all fish can jump - including dragonets. 😞 

Don't beat yourself up over it. We all make mistakes. 🌺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could not see the one remaining goby this morning. Checked all around the outside of the tank and the lid was seated properly. Snapped the stem off the frag plug from the acans I grabbed at TSA a month ago and glued it to the rock with the other Acans. While fussing with the tank I knocked the hammer off its rock. I glued it to a different rock. Then I flipped the rock it came from that has the candy cane still on it upside down so the candy cane is a little higher up from the sand.

After messing up the tank and still not seeing the fish. I sat with a flashlight shining into the back and after about 5 minutes.  I found the goby him in the back chamber peeking out from under the pump. PITA! He is safely back in the display. Since I had the pump out, I turned it down a couple clicks and put the RFG back on. Not today but I think I need another rock in there and put all the zoanthids on it. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
On 3/10/2023 at 6:22 AM, debbeach13 said:

After feeding the tank. The lid was over the tank but not seated properly. So, probably my fault. I feel terrible.

Don't be too hard on yourself.  You were doing things responsibly, you had a lid, you thought you had it securely seated.  Just learn from it, it's all you can do.  Fish jump, you can only protect them from themselves as much as a good lid, which you use. So it's sad - but barely your fault ❤️

2 gobies in a tiny tank, one will jump or be killed by the other one.  This was the likely outcome either way TBH.  The only fish I'd have 2 of in  a nano are clowns, most others see similar shaped and coloured fish as competition. So the smaller the tank, the more they protect their  turf.

I have an extra fish guard… they came in a pair and I only need one… I can send it to you if you’d like to see if it helps prevent your little guy from getting in the back… it’s working for my tiny fish so far. 

I am not providing links as proof of researching, but I didn't purchase these fish on a whim, not at $25. each when they were /are about the size of my baby fingernail cut in half length wise. More than one member here has successfully kept them successfully in small groups. They are not always available. Like anything these days. Not sure if or when I could even get a couple more.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I have an extra fish guard… they came in a pair and I only need one… I can send it to you if you’d like to see if it helps prevent your little guy from getting in the back… it’s working for my tiny fish so far. 

I wasn't even thinking that he swam through the intake. My first AIO to help with water level and fish guard everyone used a half of a cassette tape cover. Thanks for the offer I will check if I have anything I can use first.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, PJPS said:

2 gobies in a tiny tank, one will jump or be killed by the other one.  This was the likely outcome either way TBH.  The only fish I'd have 2 of in  a nano are clowns, most others see similar shaped and coloured fish as competition. So the smaller the tank, the more they protect their  turf.

Dude. Could you please stop talking to the rest of us like we don’t know anything or do any research… and seriously when I tried to tell you about coco worms you told me my information was hearsay. We are not newbies. 

7EB31EDA-CBFC-4BA6-A5FA-780E103446BC.thumb.jpeg.7af7fd1e9c39b9cdd8bd7c92d5d02e54.jpeg

• Like 3

I already turned the pump back up a "notch" and put the other nozzle back on. It is still less than before the adjustment. 

At least I didn't have to put my hand into the tank. Well only as deep as the nozzle. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, banasophia said:

Dude. Could you please stop talking to the rest of us like we don’t know anything or do any research… and seriously when I tried to tell you about coco worms you told me my information was hearsay. We are not newbies. 

7EB31EDA-CBFC-4BA6-A5FA-780E103446BC.thumb.jpeg.7af7fd1e9c39b9cdd8bd7c92d5d02e54.jpeg

I in no way meant to suggest anything of the sort, I literally don’t assume anybody is a newbie. I only meant to convey the information, I don’t know if you know it or not, I don’t mean for it to come across like I am telling you anything you’re not aware of, certainly not in any “I know better” kind of way.

as far as the Coco worm, I even stated that it is listed as difficult/expert on live aquaria, I simply stated that I researched it and came to the conclusion it would be OK if I took into account that I can’t be exposed to air, since I feed a lot of phytoplankton.  I know why they list as difficult, and took that into account. I didn’t mean for it to be confrontational.

I only mean to relay my experiences in my tanks. I only wanted you to not beat yourself up over something that is not your fault.

my apologies and condolences for your loss.

Snow_Phoenix

Unfortunately, the second goby passed away. The tank is fishless once again.

Sorry to hear about this, Deb. I noticed the smaller the fish, the more 'fragile' they *might seem. I have no experience with GBGs though. Hope you can get another pair or trio in the future - they looked lovely in your tank. 🌺

• Like 2