Coral Vue Hydros

Deb’s Studio 12 Aquarium

debbeach13

2 hours ago, spectra said:

Use citric acid much better if there is a magnet in there.......... used to use vinegar but it destroys things over time........

Do you happen to know off the top of your head how much you add per gallon? I have some and the last time I used it I must’ve mixed it way too strong and it stung when I grabbed my gear out of the water… 

Obviously not the same pump, but I think similar design.

pump_closed.jpg.31c88edc1254db1d30e01a688ed63c8c.jpg

When I say slide, that's an exaggeration.  You have to sort of rock it back and forth while pulling it apart.

pump_open.jpg.6c03dfa60adc3cb6a149e60bfde0eacd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Do you happen to know off the top of your head how much you add per gallon? I have some and the last time I used it I must’ve mixed it way too strong and it stung when I grabbed my gear out of the water… 

Not really but I would use about a cup maybe a little more in about 4 gallons of water. I would let my weave pumps run in it for a day to clean them. yes I do remember a little sting but could be just the way it is. The stuff works great though and doesnt smelll to bad...... 

When I took down my 750 I dumped a big bag in and filled with tap water and just ran the tank..... it stripped all the coralline algae off the back in about 3 days......... 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Obviously not the same pump, but I think similar design.

pump_closed.jpg.31c88edc1254db1d30e01a688ed63c8c.jpg

When I say slide, that's an exaggeration.  You have to sort of rock it back and forth while pulling it apart.

pump_open.jpg.6c03dfa60adc3cb6a149e60bfde0eacd.jpg

Okay, you were right @seabass! Thank you!! It worked but “slide” was definitely an understatement for ours too… I had to use a butter knife and pry it… thankfully I didn’t impale myself or break the tank in the process.

All I can say is be careful to anyone taking it apart!! I unplugged it but I should have also taken it somewhere else to do it farther away from the glass of the tank.

I’ll post the pics here for you and anyone following along in your thread @debbeach13, and in my thread too, for anyone else running into this problem.

BE0FCEC6-BAF2-41DC-BB0C-0710EC1AFA8C.thumb.jpeg.60d9ca57c2455a8e9776a2c9864454ad.jpeg

69B2B28B-FB52-44B1-A5AA-889064BF4214.thumb.jpeg.cc420856a6c01f86fdf2ccc387a2a4a4.jpeg

EB087969-00B8-4793-9396-99C53C870729.thumb.jpeg.f86189bc98ee970cc202c996a1f8c39c.jpeg

I think the issue is that there’s this little tab that fits into a slot on the bottom that prevents it from easily sliding off:

9AAE1076-36CA-4370-B9E0-4029D63E3A35.thumb.jpeg.d4a94d850d9cc6a1c67fe486f940abf0.jpeg

6B2F52CF-51AA-4D7F-9FD9-88A996B18F1E.thumb.jpeg.8e21b4b71767c5e84e487e71b7f42ec8.jpeg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, banasophia said:

I use 3/4 cup per gallon. If you have any scratches or cuts on your hand, it will definitely sting. 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, the impeller is stuck. I can spin it manually, but it drags. I cannot remove it and it doesn't spin when plugged in. More tinkering required. I will probably order a couple pumps today. All the extras I have left are in tank style circulation power heads. For now, the MJ606 is at least working. 

I checked the reef casa web site but could not find the pump that came with the tank for information or to order one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

After having no flow a couple nights ago. Nothing seems to have been effected. I did a 1.5-gallon water change and replaced the carbon and filter pad yesterday. I thought I was doing this earlier than usual but nope . Last WC was 10 days ago so on schedule. Pictures failing to upload today. Oh well it looks the same.

• Like 2
On 1/24/2023 at 4:28 PM, debbeach13 said:

After having no flow a couple nights ago. Nothing seems to have been effected. I did a 1.5-gallon water change and replaced the carbon and filter pad yesterday. I thought I was doing this earlier than usual but nope . Last WC was 10 days ago so on schedule. Pictures failing to upload today. Oh well it looks the same.

Old school battery powered emergency air stone.  The one I have turns on if the power goes out.  It’s garbage flow in coral terms, but it’ll keep stuff alive in a pinch.  😊

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

That green poly filter is pretty cool !!! Tank is looking GREAT though Deb. 

Funny, I too noticed the green poly 🙂 does it have some purported advantage?  Or does it just make my tank look a bit more like a gaming PC (note, either way I'll try it out). I assume the green is like the pink, essentially a different micron sized filter.

• Like 1

I actually ordered this pad because the blue/white was only available that day in the smaller size 312 sq ft.

This is 864 sq ft. now that I have it. I see the green side is much denser than the blue so it should pick up smaller particles. It is not actual visible once placed in the filter compartment.  

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find flow restriction screws with the waterleevel in the back chamber of my IM.  I just use floss and change it daily, same with the blue, so it catching even more brings the fear of twice daily floss change.  With a typical feeding regimen, thismight be good as a second floss under the blue.  Bigger stuff removed by blue, remainer caught by green.  These go white side up, if you're new to using this style pad

E: just noticed your post count and join date, and that you mention using the blue stuff. mea culpa 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Success the new Sicce pump is in the tank. I turned the flow down 2 clicks. No idea the actual flow rate but it is more flow that the stock pump was or the mj606. Even with the RFG nozzle which I put back in. Have to wait a couple days and see if it has any effect on the coral. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
18 minutes ago, PJPS said:

E: just noticed your post count and join date, and that you mention using the blue stuff. mea culpa 🙂

No problem. I learn new stuff about this hobby all the time. Plus, at my age I like reminders!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, debbeach13 said:

Success the new Sicce pump is in the tank. I turned the flow down 2 clicks. No idea the actual flow rate but it is more flow that the stock pump was or the mj606. Even with the RFG nozzle which I put back in. Have to wait a couple days and see if it has any effect on the coral. 

Interesting... is there a powerhead in the tank?  If there is, I turn the return to the lowest setting to maximize media contact time, and fiddle with the powerhead until everything looks good.  If not, point that RFG in all sorts of odd angles (off the glass, off the rocks).  I like my water to pulse so nothing is being blown the same way too much.  Enough fiddling with either can get a tank flowing nicely :).  Pulsing is tricky without a powerhead, but those RFGs are as close as you'll get.  I use 2 🙂

• Like 1

No powerhead in the tank. You are correct that would provide a much better randomness flow. I am trying to keep the display clean of extra equipment. The current tank corals only require low to moderate flow. If I ever add any SPS I will have to rethink adding a powerhead. Another member with this tank and a much more varied coral selection, is considering or may have already added a powerhead to that tank and I of course am following the progression. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Did my usual W/C yesterday, new filter pad, left the carbon. I decided to pull out a few bristle worms which lead to rearranging the scape. I will try to remember to take a picture tonight.

Synchronized water changes… I did mine yesterday too. Looking forward to seeing the pics! 

Sorry no pictures. When I took a good look in the tank last night. The hammer was tiny, and the candy cane seemed to be stressed. The bottom of the candy cane looked like it was being blown of the rock. They did not like the extra flow. Seeing that broke my heart and I quickly moved them back to the center of the tank. 

In other news. I haven't added any new coral since November. I placed an order with WWC and will pick it up on Friday. 

• Like 3