Innovative Marine Aquariums

6 gal desktop 1yr MEGA UPDATE

campbell_wat

campbell_wat

A brief overview:
20cmx20cmx60cm

6gal ish with no equipment or rock. 

Purchased the tank in mid September 2021, but added the first real scape and frags early oct 2021. I am an ecology and biology student, so I have taken my knowledge from those fields and applied it to a simple reefkeeping philosophy, with my focus being on biodiversity and stability over else. I have never consistently tested the water in this tank. Honestly I just smell it every few days and go on feel...

FTS 10/7/22

image.thumb.png.2769900993ba48b377972b4cccd03a30.png

836533882_IMG_1005Large.thumb.jpeg.c86855551ed8f6b23cf7f4b1f3910627.jpeg

FTS 10/6/21

image.thumb.png.1e460e8d5c537c02964cdfc2407a8fe7.png

Livestock

1x Juvenile Percula Clown - I got this lil guy 2 weeks ago as a reward for keeping this tank going in such a good state for so long. I have a housing plan for when they outgrow it…  

2x Somatella snails - I have had one since the beginning - and it’s BIG now. Noticed a smaller one a few months back and it has grown into a medium sized jet-black algae vacuum. I think there are quite a few babies in the system now…

1x Banded Trochus snail - this guy wears a cape of hair and bubble algae. He kind of acts as my ‘fuge haha. This guy has been with me since nov. 2021. 

3x Blue leg hermits - At least, I think I still have all three. I introduced these guys in oct. 2021 and they're all still cruising around. I have noticed the largest eating bubble algae lately, which is great. Very little aggression issues.

2x Scarlet hermits - Lazy, but pretty. I still have both that I introduced in nov 2021. Again, no aggression issues, but they love to perch in my seriatopora colony. They eat stuff…

1x Peppermint shrimp L. Wurdemanni. - This shrimp was great - awesome - the best thing to happen to my tank for 6 months. Ate every aiptasia, hunted pods, and left all my meaty corals and RFA’s alone. Then one day he decided it was time to munch on my RFA. Every day he takes a few bites - nothing more. The ‘nem is ok, but looks reaalllyyy mad. Will catch him as soon as I am able. 

1x Emerald crab - Introduced nov 2021, haven't seen it in awhile. Assumed dead…

Corals (L to R) 

Green Star Polyp - I have had this sample of GSP since I started keeping reef tanks in 2019. It has spread, been fragged, and shuffled dozens of times over. The coverage here is the result of a reset I performed a few months ago. 

Kenya Tree - New addition; I think it would look good to have a huge tree in the corner…

Paly Grandis - (Black Hole & Unknown) Added in dec 2021, really slow growers…

Joker Favia - I started this one with a single polyp in the og planting of this tank in oct 2021. It has grown slowly, but I will take it given the size of my system. 

Red Micromussa Lord - Same as the favia - started from a single polyp way long ago. Given the temperament of these corals, my success has been unexpectedly welcome. I had to 3D print stands for these guys as they overgrew their plugs. 

ParaZoanthids/ Yellow Polyps - Added in the spring - wanted a splash of color and movement. 

Orange Discosoma - The color on these guys is unreal.

Orange Ricordea - Picked up these 4 in a live rock tub for free at the LFS last fall. Just chillin there…

Zoanthid/Palythoa garden - Most of these strains have been in the tank since the beginning. All started with 5 or so polyps. It has been extremely rewarding watching them completely take over the aquascape. Unfortunately I think it is going ‘over the hill’ and as opposed to a great variety of colors, the larger and more aggressive strains are beginning to take over.

Seasons Greetings Montipora - Added a few mos ago - placement has been an issue for this guy as detritus keep accumulating on the surface…

Red Montipora Capricornis - An OG frag. This thing has grown at a surprising rate given the constraints of my system. One of my fav corals given its striking appearance from the top down.

Green Birdsnest Seriatopora - Added a few mos ago - once it settled in, it started branching rapidly. Excited to see what a few more months brings…

Gonzos Golden Dragon ‘Shrooms - I have had these since my first tank in 2019. SLowed down as of late, but I find ‘outcast’ baby shrooms all over the tank. Seems like they've crowded themselves.  

Green Candy Cane Caulastrea - I originally had a larger piece of this, but ¾ heads died last fall. I re-fragged the piece and now it has taken off again. I think it provides great accent texture in its current location. 

Meteor Shoer Cyphastrea - Stuck this ‘prince of darkness’ on the back corner of the tank during the original planting of frags. After some adjustment period, It has begun taking over the back of my scape and is rapidly gaining momentum. Love it. 

Another Orange Ricordea - the first coral I have ever purchased. Still kickin. 

Bonus Yellow Sponge - This sponge has been with me since my original tank as well. It is VERY cool to watch it swell with water and actively feed. 

The Wayward Souls - Lots more corals have come and gone that are not currently visible or in the tank. As a result, there are many different discosoma babies and odd zoa polyps at the base of my rocks, lurking in the shadows, or making a living on my equipment. Love seeing how life ‘finds a way.’

A selection of current photos... 

image.thumb.png.5a3ba7126c8a99b40e77e31a47555199.png

image.thumb.png.651e503927b446bba880d66f5e606070.pngimage.thumb.png.71c9957aa2a5e3dddb07c081e0567e20.png

And some older photos... 

Late Nov. 21

image.thumb.png.e8e88cee5d1b803661a9fe44db2be03b.png

Early Jan. 22

image.thumb.png.6338500f45bf863b5a7c395a47143fa7.png

Early April 22

image.thumb.png.8525ae23f79d163991c6b4bea8a2a354.png

Mid June 22

image.thumb.png.2ba4c28529e83b1daffc5a52e5db11e5.png

Link to OG thread: 

Current Equipment:

Hipagero 60w Reef Light - I have been running this thang every day since 2019. It’s great, but I had to attach it to an analog timer because it does not have that function. You also have to count the ‘taps’ when adjusting the channel intensity. It is set and forget it, though… 

2x Odessea Surface Skimming Pumps - These r my workhorses. Good flow, can adjust the direction, plenty of space for media, and skims the crap off the surface. Entire pump/unit is disassemblable for ez maintenance. No Complaints this far. 

Hygger Thermostat/Heater - Cheap amazon thing. Probe is consistent with my IR temp gun and another thermometer. Indicator lights on the thermostat. It works. It was cheap. Thumbs up. 

Amazon China Cheap Smart ATO - again, it was cheap and it works well. 

Ask me any questions down below! 

• Like 3