Cultivated Reef

Snails all have green algae on shells

ChilledReefer

ChilledReefer

Hello everyone, 

I have  a red sea nano max 20 gal and have some snails as the clean up crew. Tank has been up for about a month and all the levels are good. The only thing is the snails now all have green algae growing on their shells.  The lights are set to a red sea schedule that goes for like 10 hours but ramps up and down based on the settings.  

Should I be concerned about this or do I need to look at reducing the time the lights are on to get rid of it. I also thought about just pulling the snails out and using a toothbrush to get rid of it to see if that solves the issue. 

Thanks for any help, 

Usually if you have multiple they'll just clean each other. If the algae is only on them and not the rockwork I wouldn't be too worried, you can manually remove if it bothers you

That's fairly normal, if they aren't sitting still long enough to clean each other. You can gently scrub their shells with a toothbrush if you really want it off, but it won't do them any harm, and IMO it can look neat. Little wandering gardens. 

I agree with Tired, totally normal. My snails get hair algae, small filter feeders, coralline algae etc growing on their shells. 

I used to pluck it fearing the hair algae might spread to the rock but after a while I quit and it never spread. I personally like it and think it makes the tank look more natural. 

• Like 1