Cultivated Reef

Lighting for 90 Gallon

Dave21

So I've had my first saltwater tank (29 gallon) running for a little over a year now with success growing mixed hard and soft corals but feel I've outgrown the tank. 

A few weeks ago I picked up a used 90 gallon tank that I'd like to start up in the next couple months but am struggling on what type of light to get since its 24in high. 

Right now I have just a cheap $50 amazon LED bar light on my 29 gallon and have had success growing soft coral along with a couple SPS and LPS corals but I know I'll need a higher quality light for the new tank. 

Does anyone have suggestions on what light would be a good choice without completely breaking the bank. I'd like to stay at $500 or less including mounts and would like something that can mount or sit on the tank vs hanging. 

Thanks!

I'll second the idea of used gear when you're being budget conscious....."other people's upgrades" is great way to nab top-shelf gear for basement prices.  There are some options here on the Nano-reef Marketplace, for example.  There's a Kessil AP700 for around your price on eBay.

Otherwise, you have tons to New options to consider.....24" isn't THAT DEEP of a tank, FYI.  Merely double a 12" tank – which is SUPER SHALLOW.  🙂 🙂 

So, for example, the Current-USA "Orbit Marine IC Pro Dual" 48-60" model that comes with two strips would be appropriate – and they slot into your price bracket at $509 brand new from the maker.  (You might do better shopping around.)

A pair of Ocean Revive t-247 panels would also fit your price at $180/ea.....but they seem to be sold out everywhere.  Maybe check Pacific East Aquaculture, but I suspect that's a mirage listing.   TOO BAD!  This was one of the only good super-cheap lights.  They solved the main problem (poor coverage with a bad hot spot in the middle) with the "MARS" type black box light.

There are still quite a few makers with "Black Box Lights" listed on eBay, but none of them with the improved layout of the Ocean Revive.  👎  (Looks like Mars has moved on to hydroponic lighting....so they're out too.  Huh.)

Anyway, if you stay in the same power category as those suggestions (eg 240 watts for the two Ocean Revives), no matter what you pick you should be able to do at least as well in the new tank as you were in the old tank.  Just keep in mind that only the blue and white LED's are important.  The rest is decorator...so be mindful of paying a lot extra for those things.

Also is this a 3ft 90 or a 4ft 90? That can change the price a bit, but I also recommend the reef breeders photons, the older style without phone connection are being sold constantly around me as people are upgrading

Its a 4ft tank. I was looking at the Current USA light 48-60 light bars running two but after reading wasnt sure if they would give enough light for SPS. I have a set of 1050gph eflux pumps in my 29 gallon turned all the way down and liked the idea of being able to connect everything through Current USA's loop system. 

I also saw they have the r24 light and bulk reef supply has a set of the 53w for $445. They say they put out a 24in spread so was maybe thinking i could put one on either side of the center brace 

Those new pucks are almost identical to an ai prime, and I would say a 24" spread is very liberal. On my 3ft 30g I had to use 3 to get good results with sps. I'd say they spread about 14-16" realistically

On 10/6/2022 at 4:47 PM, Dave21 said:

Its a 4ft tank. I was looking at the Current USA light 48-60 light bars running two but after reading wasnt sure if they would give enough light for SPS. I have a set of 1050gph eflux pumps in my 29 gallon turned all the way down and liked the idea of being able to connect everything through Current USA's loop system. 

I also saw they have the r24 light and bulk reef supply has a set of the 53w for $445. They say they put out a 24in spread so was maybe thinking i could put one on either side of the center brace 

Either type works about the same (watt for watt, that is) as far as growing corals – IC DUAL's would be fine.  The difference between them is spotlight vs area light.  

Spotlights give much more dramatic look with sharper shadows and surface artifacts.  Area lights give a "dead" look to the water and very muted shadows.  

I kinda think of spotlights as emulating VERY shallow reef waters and area lights as emulating VERY deep reef waters.  

Either can be very nice.  Corals don't really care.  So that leaves it mostly to your personal preference.  👍

The strips have to be the easier of them to mount, for what that might be worth.  Just lay em on top of the tank....done.  (They CAN also be mounted up off the tank like the r24's if you want.)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2022 at 9:43 PM, Reefkid88 said:

I would suggest finding mm pobably 2-3 used Noopsyche KIII's. They can usually be had for cheap,used with mounts. Brand new they are $210 with mount. https://noopsychereeflight.com/

They are always for sale on Reef2Reef.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have been looking and hadn't seen them but after checking out some forms and video reviews it looks like a pair of those might be perfect. 

• Agree 1
  • 2 months later...

Hey I know this is an old topic, but I'm at the point on making a light purchase and would appreciate some final thoughts. 

After reading up on all the options and reading a long R2R thread about Nicrew lights I'm debating between the Nicrew 100w or 150w. I'm looking at getting two for my 90 gallon and am not sure if I really need to go for the 150w after checking some par ratings in videos. I'm looking to do a mixed reef with mostly soft coral and LPS but would like to do some easier SPS. From the videos it looks like a similar 90 gallon had around 150 par in the middle of the tank with the 100w. Would this be sufficient for my needs or is it worth going the extra for the 150w and dialing them back?

13 hours ago, Dave21 said:

Hey I know this is an old topic

LOL.  This is YOUR thread and it's only from October.  Just sayin'! 😉 

After reading up on all the options and reading a long R2R thread about Nicrew lights

...your head must be spinning like a top!   Especially after that 2nd part – so much B.S. noise!!!  😄 

That's a dime-a-dozen no-name light, but if that's where you want to put your money it will probably work for at least a little while.  

I'd still at least consider a used set of name-brand lights IF money/budget is the reason for going no-name.

On 10/6/2022 at 4:47 PM, Dave21 said:

Sounds like you let "it" get to you on the Current USA reviews?  😉  

They are a fine option – especially if you can find a set used.  (Between forum listings here and elsewhere, Facebook market, Craigslist, et al, you can probably find whatever you want used, if you have some patience.)

Seems like if you already have their pumps, this would almost be the no-brainer route.  (I can't th ink of anyone who has been making reef lighting longer than Current USA, BTW.  They're a solid choice.)

I'm debating between the Nicrew 100w or 150w.

Looks like they make more than one kind of light, BTW.   A link or pic would help in cases like this.

Assuming you're looking at their Radion/AI-looking clone for the time being...

The following comment applies again....are you sure you like spotlights?

On 10/7/2022 at 8:44 PM, mcarroll said:

Either type works about the same (watt for watt, that is) as far as growing corals – IC DUAL's would be fine.  The difference between them is spotlight vs area light.  

Spotlights give much more dramatic look with sharper shadows and surface artifacts.  Area lights give a "dead" look to the water and very muted shadows.  

I kinda think of spotlights as emulating VERY shallow reef waters and area lights as emulating VERY deep reef waters.  

Either can be very nice.  Corals don't really care.  So that leaves it mostly to your personal preference.  👍

The strips have to be the easier of them to mount, for what that might be worth.  Just lay em on top of the tank....done.  (They CAN also be mounted up off the tank like the r24's if you want.)

If you're sure this is the KIND of light you want (spotlight), then you still need to consider whether/how they are appropriate for your tank.  

The best fit for a single spotlight is a cube-shaped tank.  

Your tank is very rectangular – does your tank have a center-brace?

Because of the long shape of your tank, this light is NOT optimal for your tank.  

You will want at least two of them to work around the issues.  

One light will result in a horrible hot-spot in the middle of the tank, dark ends AND up to 50% of your light dumping out of the tank and lighting up your room due to how high it will have to be mounted to cover the ends of the tank.  

That setup is bad for your eyes and a waste as far as your corals are concerned.  A bad setup – and unnecessary.

Use at least two (lower wattage) spotlights (three if you have no center brace) and those issues become non-issues.  The lights can be mounted at the "correct" height for their lens setup (even lighting, no spilling) and evenly spaced across the top of the tank to make shadowing less dramatic.  (Usually a good thing.)

One thing with no-name lights, since this brand gives you the option, it would be smart to buy a larger fixture than you need so you can run it at a relatively low wattage level to help it last longer.  I.e you might get by with a pair of 100-watters (if that's what folks say), but depending on the actual performance you get (if they end up close to 100% how you like them set up), you might still prefer a pair of 150-watters – again, so they can be run at a lower power (lower temperature) and last longer.

If you're into the 100-150-watt range ($300-500), it seems like you could be a better deal out there....it's not that far off from Current's price, and they will integrate with your current equipment.  Even a set of AI Primes is pretty much in that range.

I don't know how you came to this as the best option...it's OK and would grow corals, but IMO kinda expensive for the no-name status.  (Does your LFS carry anything?)

If you are going nicrew then you may want to consider smatfarm as well off amazon. 

If amazon has free returns you could probably try one of each and see which you like. 

Keep an eye out for lemons out of the box, it happens more so with these no name lights. 

On 1/20/2023 at 8:59 AM, mcarroll said:

Looks like they make more than one kind of light, BTW.   A link or pic would help in cases like this.

I was looking at the Hyper Reef 100w or 150w. I had a few things come up that is tightening the budget up some. I'm not in a super rush as I only got the tank filled up and started cycling this week so have plenty of time. 

As far as why Nicrew, I have been using one of their cheap $50 bar lights on my 29 gallon for about a year and a half and it's been working good so far (though I will say I have no experience with any other brand).

Sounds like you let "it" get to you on the Current USA reviews?  😉  

As far as current usa i have seen some tanks in person with more of the spot light style lights and my wife and I really like the sharper look, shimmer, etc. I think it makes it have more of a deep reef affect to it. Looking at their spot light style options looks like it would be way more expensive than the Nicrew. Plus we decided to keep our other tank going so I don't think I'm going to swap over the eflux pumps. 

I've been keeping an eye out for used lights but in our area haven't seen much on Facebook, Craigslist etc. And most of them on ebay want more than it would cost for a pair of Nicrews or Noopsyche. 

I do have the center brace so would be looking at two, one over each opening. I split my rockscape into two separate formations with a channel between the brace to avoid shadowing a section of rockscape. 

Unfortunately outside of Petco there isn't much options for LFS in the area of WV we're I live so either a lengthy drive somewhere or mail order. 

It looks like a pair of the 100w would run $300 or $360 for the 150w. 

Here's a video I ran across that is supposed to give some PAR readings on them.

it would be smart to buy a larger fixture than you need so you can run it at a relatively low wattage level to help it last longer.

I was wondering if it might help extend the life of the light and sounds like if I do go this route going for the 150w would prob make sense. 

I'm not 100% set on these just seem like for the money they are a good deal vs the name brands. Again I'm not looking to spend a fortune and am going to stick to easier affordable soft coral and LPS mostly but want something that's going to give them what they need to grow. 

On 1/20/2023 at 10:09 AM, Tamberav said:

If you are going nicrew then you may want to consider smatfarm as well off amazon. 

If amazon has free returns you could probably try one of each and see which you like. 

Keep an eye out for lemons out of the box, it happens more so with these no name lights. 

I saw them but haven't found as much on them such as PAR test etc. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Dave21 said:

I do have the center brace so would be looking at two, one over each opening. I split my rockscape into two separate formations with a channel between the brace to avoid shadowing a section of rockscape. 

Having the brace won't be a worry if you're sticking with dual spotlights – the center might be the sweetest spot in the tank as far as light.  👍 Just keep them mounted at the "correct" height – not too high – and you won't create the shadow.

17 hours ago, Dave21 said:

$360 for the 150w. 

Seems like a decent option, but that still seems like a lot of $ for no-name.  (Especially in light of what you said about budget pressure!)  Any idea how they handle customer service when something goes wrong?  (At least on paper they offer a 1 year warranty...they could offer less, so that's not too bad, if they are responsive.)  If you're super confident (for good reason!), like I would be buying from almost any of the major brands, and you really like this light, then go for it.

If you're still on the fence, it seems like you could cast a wider net searching for used name-brand lights on FB marketplace and other similar sites.  

Search into the nearest metro area (and beyond) and see who will ship to you – LED's aren't generally heavy or bulky, so shipping shouldn't be outrageous.  If necessary, offer less than they are asking, or ask to ship free, etc.

Obviously I'm not sure where in WV you are, so this might not apply, but I see a set of Maxspect Ethereals AND a set of Kessils "in WV" that I'd consider making an offer on if I were in your shoes.     Seems like there's quite a bit posted that would be worth considering if you're "willing" to save some money this way.  (I.e. it does take some time and leg-work to find something vs just google-shopping and clicking buy.) 👍