Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rewarming after power outage

tidepooldreamer

tidepooldreamer

We lost power for a little over 24 hours thanks to Ian, and my reef dropped to 69F from 80.

My question is what kind of schedule should I follow for warming back up? Since the heating came back on it's come back to 71 just from ambient temperature over the course of a few hours, and I've set my thermostat to keep it steady there overnight.

I'm not sure if it's better to take it very slow (1-2 degrees a day?) so they aren't shocked by the drop and then back up again, or to try to bring it back up into the acceptable range faster to minimize time spent out of temp.

Everybody seems fine at the current temp for now, I'm not seeing any signs of stress.

Thanks very much for any help in advance 🙂 This is my longest power outage (normally they're only a couple hours and tanks don't drop more than a degree or two total), so I'm not entirely sure how to proceed...

Stability is the ideal.  However, I kind of look at this almost like a shipping event.  We typically acclimate our new livestock to tank temperature for about 20 minutes.  Most everything was shipped at some point and has made it so far.

I'm sure there is some stress in that, but usually I just let the heater take it back up to normal.  IDK, I'm sure that there are certain things which are more sensitive than others.  My heaters always seem slightly underpowered, so it usually takes a bit to warm things back up again.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Exposure to cold water isn't the end of the world.  But in most cases in the wild, I would think that cold water would RAPIDLY be displaced by warmer water.

IMO, I would let the heaters run on their thermostats until the tank was back up to temp.....no slower than that.

• Like 1
tidepooldreamer
On 10/27/2022 at 1:53 PM, mcarroll said:

Exposure to cold water isn't the end of the world.  But in most cases in the wild, I would think that cold water would RAPIDLY be displaced by warmer water.

IMO, I would let the heaters run on their thermostats until the tank was back up to temp.....no slower than that.

Thanks - I ended up using my inkbird to bring it up by a degree every hour or two and didn't have any losses or even abnormal behavior.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, ReefGuard Systems said:

If you want to monitor temp over time the ReefGuard Temperature Monitor and App can do this:  https://reefguard.co/temperature-monitor

Hi ReefGuard Systems.  Are you planning on becoming a new sponsor?  That'd be great.  You can just send a message to @Christopher Marks or send an email to sponsors@nano-reef.com for more information.

Either way it's nice to have you here as a new member.  But if you wish to promote a business, you really need to become a sponsor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1