inTank Media Baskets

90 Day Nano-Reno Contest 🔨

seabass

spacer.png

Do you need some motivation to fix up a dated, neglected, infested, bare, or overgrown reef tank?  Or maybe you're too embarrassed to update your tank journal.  With the popularity of Home Improvement TV shows, @Christopher Marks and I have decided to host this 90 day reef renovation competition.

We all know that life happens, and that our aquariums don't always get top priority.  Well, this contest is for anybody wanting to improve their reef tank, even if it isn't that bad.  There are practically no restrictions, and you have the full 90 days to: enter, set some goals, take a few pics, and renovate your reef.

tool-time.jpg.91c113715d044ef918b30ad58437540b.jpg

This contest begins NOW!  I'll be the moderator and will address questions about the competition.  Please refer to this thread for future announcements and rule clarifications.

The Rules:

1. You must add a tag to your reef tank journal, called Nano-Reno.  Use an existing thread; or if this tank doesn't have one, you can start a new journal thread.
  2. Before the end of the contest, you must post at least three current "before" pics, accompanied by the contest logo.  And as long as the contest logo is also included, additional "before" pics can be added to your thread.

logo_sm.jpg.b74e78193501f34e62e1839efa71a080.jpg

3. This contest will conclude at midnight on December 29th, 2022.  So no new entries, or no new "before" pics will be allowed after this date.
  4. In order to qualify for prizes, contestants MUST send @seabass three "before" pics and three "after" pics (along with an optional 200 word summary) by January 15th, 2023.  Additional details regarding this requirement will be provided prior to the end of the contest.
  5. Nano-Reef members will start voting for the winners beginning on the morning of Saturday January 21st, 2023.
  6. Polls will close at midnight on Sunday January 29th, 2023.  Any ties will be broken by Christopher Marks.

If you haven't participated in one of these contests before, they are primarily about the fun, camaraderie, and bragging rights.  But in addition, there will be prizes for the most votes in the following categories.

Prize Categories:

• Overall Best Reef Renovation - The winner will receive a Nano-Reef T-shirt, a 6" tall acrylic award (with the contest logo, and the winner's name or screen name), plus a pack of contest and Nano-Reef stickers.*

T-shirt.thumb.jpg.6c09f4ec07523127726b3db109bba34c.jpg  award_colored.jpg.c7a21accbcdbb174a9a13f0b4d2d0aec.jpg  holographic_sticker.jpg.41a03bf905da8dec03467712f1c8de6f.jpg  sticker3.jpg.9ee3276f78668f3d5a44c30291d56e5e.jpg

• Exceptional Re-Aquascaping - The winner will receive a Nano-Reef T-shirt, a 15oz coffee mug with the contest logo, plus a pack of contest and Nano-Reef stickers.*

T-shirt.thumb.jpg.6c09f4ec07523127726b3db109bba34c.jpg  cup4.jpg.57c8b80dbcc33b90e92b008ab8de66f6.jpg  holographic_sticker.jpg.41a03bf905da8dec03467712f1c8de6f.jpg  sticker3.jpg.9ee3276f78668f3d5a44c30291d56e5e.jpg

• Outstanding Low/No Budget Reno - The winner will receive a Nano-Reef T-shirt, plus a pack of contest and Nano-Reef stickers.*

T-shirt.thumb.jpg.6c09f4ec07523127726b3db109bba34c.jpg  holographic_sticker.jpg.41a03bf905da8dec03467712f1c8de6f.jpg  sticker3.jpg.9ee3276f78668f3d5a44c30291d56e5e.jpg

Bonus Award:

• Ugliest "Before" Pics - Christopher Marks will pick the contestant with the ugliest "before" pics.  The winner will receive a pack of contest and Nano-Reef stickers.*

holographic_sticker.jpg.41a03bf905da8dec03467712f1c8de6f.jpg  sticker3.jpg.9ee3276f78668f3d5a44c30291d56e5e.jpg

In addition to the fun and prizes, we hope that this contest motivates other hobbyists to improve their own tanks.  Chris and I wish all of the contestants the best of luck.  And now...

tim-al2.jpg.cae5e228792dce71bf04fd107cf30fa3.jpg

Click on the Nano-Reno tag

nano-reno

for a list of the participants.

* International entries are welcome; but we aren't able to ship prizes everywhere.  In the event that an international contestant wins a prize, we'll make an effort to see if shipping is possible, but with no guarantees.  In addition, where shipping is possible, international contestants might be responsible for some or all of the additional shipping and/or customs charges.

90 Day Nano-Reno 🔨

Brought to you by:

binford-tools.jpg.4be8d13c6fd79b80c56bc706db38f157.jpg & spacer.png

• Like 15
26 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I like how pretty much anyone can enter this time. Is there a restriction on the size of the tank for the contest? Do we simply enter pre-existing tanks? I have so many questions! :lol:

You know, we're pretty much going to let almost anything go this time.  So any size (big or small) will be allowed.  Tanks do have to be saltwater (marine or brackish, so no freshwater setups).

Pre-existing tanks was the intention, but we'll allow new tanks.  All new tank "before" pics should at least have water and the rock structure already in place.  This contest is only 90 days, so there isn't much time for new tanks (but it's possible, as you have the entire contest to enter).  Voters can decide if they prefer existing tank renovations, or new setups.

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
14 minutes ago, seabass said:

You know, I'm pretty much going to let almost anything go this time.  So any size (big or small) will be allowed.  Pre-existing was the intention, but I'll allow new tanks.  All new tank "before" pics should at least have water and the rock structure already in place.  This contest is only 90 days, so there isn't much time for new tanks (but it's possible, as you have the entire contest to enter).

Tanks do have to be saltwater (marine or brackish, so no freshwater setups).  But I'll let the voters decide if they prefer existing tank renovations, or new setups.

I have several more questions, if that is okay. 🙂

1. How many tanks can be entered into the contest, per person?

2. Must the tank have corals in it, or can it be a FOWLR?

3. Do the tanks need to have a fish, or are invert-only tanks acceptable?

4. When you mention reno, does that mean the tanks need a complete overhaul? Or can we do minor 'renos' like rescapes on smaller levels, adjustments to equipment etc.? 🤔

(If you were wondering, I was thinking of adding both my 10G lobster tank & 60G to the contest, but if they don't qualify, it's okay - I can simply tag along and cheer on the efforts of others) :happy:

17 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I have several more questions, if that is okay. 🙂

1. How many tanks can be entered into the contest, per person?

2. Must the tank have corals in it, or can it be a FOWLR?

3. Do the tanks need to have a fish, or are invert-only tanks acceptable?

4. When you mention reno, does that mean the tanks need a complete overhaul? Or can we do minor 'renos' like rescapes on smaller levels, adjustments to equipment etc.? 🤔

(If you were wondering, I was thinking of adding both my 10G lobster tank & 60G to the contest, but if they don't qualify, it's okay - I can simply tag along and cheer on the efforts of others) :happy:

No problem, I'm here to answer your questions.

1. You can enter as many tanks as you want.  However, when it comes to voting, your tanks will be competing against each other.  Prizes are determined based on votes per tank (not per person), and voters will only be able to vote for one tank per category.  You could enter/reno all of your tanks, and then decide which one you'd like to submit to me as your final (with before/after pics and a summary) at the end of the contest.
  2. FOWLR tanks will be allowed.
  3. Some tanks might be too small for fish.  But in any case, what you keep for livestock won't matter either way.  Invert tanks are cool.
  4. How much, or how little you renovate is up to you.  Some of our tanks might just need a tweak.  In theory, this might be good enough to win the Best Reef Renovation category.  It's really up to the voters, if they are looking more at which is most improved or best final outcome.

I say, join in the fun!  We're pretty much going to let anything go, and let the voters decide the outcome.

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
28 minutes ago, seabass said:

No problem, I'm here to answer your questions.

1. You can enter as many tanks as you want.  However, when it comes to voting, your tanks will be competing against each other.  Prizes are determined based on votes per tank (not per person), and voters will only be able to vote for one tank per category.  You could enter/reno all of your tanks, and then decide which one you'd like to submit to me as your final (with before/after pics and a summary) at the end of the contest.
  2. FOWLR tanks will be allowed.
  3. Some tanks might be too small for fish.  But in any case, what you keep for livestock won't matter either way.  Invert tanks are cool.
  4. How much, or how little you renovate is up to you.  Some of our tanks might just need a tweak.  In theory, this might be good enough to win the Best Reef Renovation category.  It's really up to the voters, if they are looking more at which is most improved or best final outcome.

I say, join in the fun!  We're pretty much going to let anything go, and let the voters decide the outcome.

I really love how laidback this contest is. Pretty much anyone on the site can enter, so it's open to everyone with different types of reeftanks. 🙂

Great job on thinking this one up, Seabass! :happydance:

I'll give this a few more days of thought, to see if I should enter or not. Otherwise, I don't mind just tagging along to see everyone else's renos! :happy:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

As you can tell, I'll be using pics and quotes from Tim Allen's Home Improvement TV show throughout this competition.  It's Tool Time everybody!

tool-time-scraper.jpg.590db41ae5b120a9b7227cf691a01559.jpg

• Like 4
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, seabass said:

As you can tell, I'll be using pics and quotes from Tim Allen's Home Improvement TV show throughout this competition.  It's Tool Time everybody!

tool-time-scraper.jpg.590db41ae5b120a9b7227cf691a01559.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the Pamela Anderson influence on this! 

• Haha 4
NoOneLikesADryTang
On 10/1/2022 at 11:34 AM, seabass said:

pam.thumb.jpg.4cede0f2b7fffd8b1774b56981a45620.jpg

Not only is she ok with it - she dang near encourages it. I can neither confirm, nor deny that I had posters of Pamela Anderson on my walls during my formative years. 

• Haha 4
  • Agree 1
54 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Not only is she ok with it - she dang near encourages it. I can neither confirm, nor deny that I had posters if Pamela Anderson on my walls during my formative years. 

Pamela was ok.................... Debbie was better................... 

Pamela scares me today seeing her............... 

Brilliant contest! And it may be just the motivation I need… all three of my tanks look rough, so I haven’t posted a full tank shot of any of them in a very long time. I just ordered a doser for my Biocube 16 and it just arrived from Amazon and is sitting it a box on my kitchen table… it’s meant to be!

I need to put in an order for some of @johnmaloney ‘s emeralds and other CUC so they can get to work!! I’m not sure where Reef Cleaners is located though, not sure if he may be impacted by the storm? Hope he’s okay!

• Like 4

Thanks banasophia!  It'd be great to have you participate.  I'm in the same boat (multiple tanks in need of a little love).  I figure that I'll work on all of them all and just write up my Caribbean tank (but I can decide that later).

It would be so nice if we got a bunch of people updating their journals and improving their tanks.  I'm guessing that you and me are not the only ones with tanks that need a bit of work.

Plus, it's a chance to win something.  And those T-shirts are worth it by themselves.

IMG_9385.thumb.JPG.ee3548f5df270a5fe12281c2df90b002.JPG

(Pic that Chris posted for NR's 18th anniversary, sporting the coveted Tees)

• Like 9
daisies_for_darby

So fun!

I’m pretty new to the saltwater side; I don’t even have a marine tank setup to redo so I feel a little awkward joining in, but I do have a crusty 5 gallon planted tank that I can bring out of the darkness and cleanse it in the atoning waves of saltwater and liverock? 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, daisies_for_darby said:

So fun!  I’m pretty new to the saltwater side; I don’t even have a marine tank setup to redo so I feel a little awkward joining in, but I do have a crusty 5 gallon planted tank that I can bring out of the darkness and cleanse it in the atoning waves of saltwater and liverock? 

Sure, join in.  I can see you taking current pics of your planted tank, and then demonstrate how you overhauled it, and made it a saltwater tank.  I actually feel that this fits the contest pretty well.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
9 hours ago, seabass said:

Plus, it's a chance to win something.  And those T-shirts are worth it by themselves.

Can confirm - these shirts are sweet! Can’t wait to win another one, since the tank keeper commandeered the 9 to 5 T-shirt. 

9 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm in the same boat (multiple tanks in need of a little love).

Samesies. We’ve got two of the five that need some love. We’ve spent the weekend trying to decide which one is going to be the contest tank. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

We’ve spent the weekend trying to decide which one is going to be the contest tank.

IMO, do them both (take pics and add the nano-reno tag to each).  Then decide which one you wish to submit at the end.

Wow this is going to be a ton of fun! Not sure if I should enter because I'm not really sure what I could change in my reef!

Is there anyway to obtain a nano-reef shirt aside from winning the contest (could I possibly buy one?). I'd love to rep my favourite reef forum 😄

• Like 2

I guess y'all thought I was kidding about the home tank? The urchin needs food, I've had him since he was the size of a dime, hitchhiked in on Manado rock, some of the last wild live rock out of Indo. 😞

IMGP0072.JPG

IMGP0073.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 7
1 hour ago, joshthebox said:

Is there anyway to obtain a nano-reef shirt aside from winning the contest (could I possibly buy one?). I'd love to rep my favourite reef forum 😄

Nano-Reef used to sell merch, and Chris has considered doing it again; however, winning a contest (or some other giveaway) is currently the only way to get a T-shirt.  IDK, it kind of makes it a little more prestigious when you win one. :smilie:

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
1 minute ago, StinkyBunny said:

I guess y'all thought I was kidding about the home tank?

So when did you sneak into my house and take a picture of my tank?  :lol:  Should cleanup pretty nicely.  I see a bunch of stuff in there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
18 minutes ago, seabass said:

So when did you sneak into my house and take a picture of my tank?  :lol:  Should cleanup pretty nicely.  I see a bunch of stuff in there.

It's prime fishing season and the LAST thing on my mind is tank maintenance. Thank God I have a young lady taking care of the marine tanks at the shop. She texted me last week that the big leathers spawned again, lol. That means there's crap all over the floor from the skimmers going nuts. I just don't have time for it right now, I'm dreading the move to NC when it happens. There are mated pairs of Royal Grammas, YWG and Candycane gobies in there as well as a 10 year old Springer's damsel pair. That 58 gallon tank just chugs along with weekly water changes and feeding the fish every day or every other day. And 6 or 7 different Leather Coral species and Xenia.

• Like 4