Top Shelf Aquatics

Glass lid or no glass lid

katsreef

I have a IM peninsula 20g and my evaporation is driving me crazy. I am going through at least a litre and a half a day. I am planning on getting a glass piece custom cut to cover the display portion of my tank and keep the AIO chambers open to allow for gas exchange. I think I'd rather clean the glass than deal with the costs of topping off, even with an ato. Does anyone have experience with glass lids and was it worth it? Did it effect coral growth with being something else the light must pass through?

Because you'll have the AIO chambers open, it will be fine. You may hear from some others that condensation will interfere with light, etc., but in my experience, as long as you regularly clean the lid, it won't really make a difference worth mentioning. 

• Like 1

Like dobermom mentioned, it will likely develop some condensation.  That and the glass itself will reduce light.  But it might not be enough to harm anything.

In addition, it will retain more heat.  That may or may not be an issue.  But if you already have high temperature problems, then I might look at an automatic top off system instead.

I have a glass lid on my standard 20 and it's fine. Its cut to leave a small gap at the edges to increase gass exchange and decrease condensation. It sits on those plastic lid clips you can order on line. I dont get a lot of condensation surprisingly. It will get dirty however. I frequently have to dust mine and it may get "hard water" marks or stains from.the saltwater most of these can be easily removed.

I also have a penensula with standard mesh top. My evap is usualy a little more than half of a litere a day and that's anoying enough. 

Im strongly concidering having a glass top cut.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Glass lid will radically cut back on evaporation.  

I just get an 1/8 inch thick piece custom cut from Lowe's.  They have several standard sizes to choose from and will cut it down for you.  I then sand off the edges with standard sand paper so I don't cut myself.  I have thought about getting higher quality glass cut from a glass shop in the future, but maybe it's not worth it as it would it.  

I got some clear, plastic glass lid holders/mounts off of Amazon.  They have a ton to pick from.  The ones I have don't allow the glass to go all the way to the edge so I get good gas exchange.  Also, having an all-in-one, the back three chambers are uncovered and open to the air.  

I find the glass rarely gets condensation on it but that may be because it doesn't go all the way to the edge on any side.  

I wash it off whenever I do water changes.  Fact its thin means I have to be pretty careful but if I do break it, isn't not expensive to replace.