Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

20 Gallon Tall Nano reef tank

leonoramichelle15

leonoramichelle15

Hi! so i’m starting a 20 gallon tall reef tank and would like everyone’s input as to what i need. i do own two saltwater aquariums (65 & 75 gallons) but this is my first nano reef tank so im unsure here. thank you in advance!

Hi, welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

You need: a heater, powerhead, and light fixture.  Optional equipment: a top, hang on back filter, and protein skimmer.

Total flow turnover for a typical soft coral and LPS tank would be about 500 to 700 GPH.

Do you have a budget for lights?

On 9/25/2022 at 12:46 PM, leonoramichelle15 said:

Hi! so i’m starting a 20 gallon tall reef tank and would like everyone’s input as to what i need. i do own two saltwater aquariums (65 & 75 gallons) but this is my first nano reef tank so im unsure here. thank you in advance!

I have a Aqua Clear 70 that I used as my filter for my nano-reef for quite some time.  It has huge compartment where you can house house, macro algae, etc.  It's posted for sale in the Hardware classifieds if you are interested.  I made an DIY skimmer mod to go with it.  I'll make you a good deal too as I've had no takers.  It had great water flow, is adjustable and easy to use. 

My general advice is to start simple and upgrade as you go.  Considering you've done saltwater tanks before you have a better sense than not how to do things.