Innovative Marine Aquariums

EVO 13.5 Rock and Sand Change

GregRyan11

I have had my Fluvo EVO 13.5 tank now for about a year and hate how my rocks are laid out so ideally I’d love to start over with new sand and new rock. If I use live rock to replace this with will I have any issues? 

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

7 hours ago, GregRyan11 said:

I’d love to start over with new sand and new rock. If I use live rock to replace this with will I have any issues? 

Whatever rock you choose to use, make sure that it's fully cycled prior to using it with livestock.

• For live rock, cycle the rock in something like a five gallon bucket (with a powerhead for flow).  Monitor NH4 (or total ammonia) until the level drops below 0.25ppm.
  • For dry rock, use fishless cycling to build up the biofilter by dosing ammonium chloride to bring NH4 up to 2.0ppm, then wait for NH4 to drop to 0.25ppm.  Repeat until your rocks can process 2ppm of NH4 down to 0.25ppm within 24 hours.

After cycling, you can then add the new rock, or change out the old rock with the new rock.