SaltCritters.com

new coral born in my tank

gio14

On 1/13/2023 at 10:57 PM, Tamberav said:

The striping made me think elegance but Elegance were spawned in captivity.. and they look a bit different I would say

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2022/09/08/captive-bred-elegance-coral-breakthrough/

Might just be a pretty hidden cup coral

the baby elegance looks completely different, so probably this is not an elegance, I tend to exclude also plate coral since it seems totally different.

• Like 1

Look for pics of baby plates, not adults that have already dropped off their stem.  

They have to be one of the most common tank-born corals.  I've actually seen one in person, and it wasn't even in a fancy coral tank.  Mostly a brightly-lit FOWLR tank that had been getting regular water changes.  I think the coral may have come on their live rock...not sure tho.  (I suspect Plate Corals are better-than-average at feeding in low-flow aquariums....maybe just due to their bottom-living lifestyle, but they might have some innate abilities as well, similar to Favia and some others.)

At any rate, keep us updated with pics!   👍

• 4 months later...

PSX_20230612_232945.thumb.jpg.9f0df5397c4f6b3843771fa773f7637b.jpg

Another update after few months... still no idea what this coral is...

At the moment it has 2 polyps (circular, less than 1cm diameter each), long tentacles and a central mouth

• Like 1

mmm, I've compared carefully both balanophyllia and rhizotrochus and I cannot find a match...

my coral is:

• growing under good light (I'd say 200-250 par) based on the position
  • spreading like a micromussa, so not building a "tall" skeleton
  • has a single protruding mouth, can eat mysys and artemia
  • polyp isn't that big (at least at the moment, after growing to about 1cm diameter began to separate and produce similar polyps)

so... I think still no match for the moment!

• Like 1

I have been following this.. now my opinion is a type of favia. My war coral started like that and is like a softball size now. Yours looks good, and hungry. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

here's another pic I just took, still no id but, whatever it is, it is slowly growing

maybe in the end  Jambon is correct... or maybe this is a baby caulastrea, at least this is what I think it looks like

PSX_20230823_150020.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Oh, well, that rules out a lot of the earlier guesses! Interesting how it's formed into that shape from what it was before. Definitely resembles something like a micromussa, at least to my eye, or maybe acan echinata.

How large is it at this point?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This may look similar ( of course, not exactlythe same...), in the next months skeleton should start to grow...

The coral at the moment is a little more than 1cm (diameter)

purple-trumpet-ocrla.jpg

• Like 1