Top Shelf Aquatics

Mixed Reef Jar—big changes

NatureGuy

• NatureGuy changed the title to NatureGuy’s sort of kind of not really Aquaculture Softie Jar- Shroom be splittin

The zoas seem to get grump when I pump up the nitrates, but the cloves seem to love it. Currently at about 25 ppm. Hopefully I can get the does right and find a happy medium 

The red mushroom has started showing its mesenterial filaments a lot 

09FD5831-7C9A-4C4A-9CC5-E9F34BAE6FC1.jpeg

62203E56-EDF0-4427-87D6-9650EA3FBFCE.jpeg

F837BCA3-71C3-4502-83F5-56B3CB392C0F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
banasophia

NatureGuy are you actually a girl and I never realized it… or you just rockin some stylish polish? I had an ex boyfriend who liked to wear black polish.

Those look like some big shrooms! They had an enormous carpet anemone at my LFS this past weekend too… it was the size of the tank it was in, which was like a 15 gallon.

• Like 1
NatureGuy
10 minutes ago, banasophia said:

They had an enormous carpet anemone at my LFS

There’s always something so stunning about huge corals/other cnidarians in tanks. Reminds me of a yt video I saw a while back with some huge toadstools (I’ll add a screenshot) 

I am indeed a guy rockin stylish polish lol. I find it adds a nice bit of characterization to simplistic outfits. I’m also into other guys and think it’s a nice way of subtly indicating that without being to on the nose 

EFF47A41-02ED-4B34-AAEE-0075D9754141.png

• Like 2
banasophia

Yeah that tank is gorgeous.

32 minutes ago, NatureGuy said:

I am indeed a guy rockin stylish polish lol. I find it adds a nice bit of characterization to simplistic outfits. I’m also into other guys and think it’s a nice way of subtly indicating that without being to on the nose 

Oh, nice. My ex with the black polish was bisexual actually, and so am I for that matter, but I’m married to a guy now so it’s not that apparent anymore, but still thought I’d mention it since it seemed relevant to the conversation. When I was single I always had to figure out how to drop the subtle hints. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 1:21 PM, banasophia said:

Wow those are some dramatic before and after shots… must have been very satisfying!

It was! It’s crazy how fast the algae grows, I should probably get of my ass and look into getting some sort of cuc 

I just set some coffee down next to the jar. I can feel the chic lol 

B3F35C46-420E-4746-B6D1-B89E259AC864.jpeg

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

If you have a good LFS near you, I’d try to find the littlest Mexican turbo snail you can, give it 2 weeks to mow down that hair algae, then return it to the LFS and get a money cowrie and/or a banded trochus snail for maintenance.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I took a video showing how I feed the coral but it uploaded with terrible quality, I’m not sure why 

the shrooms are always fun to watch. The last picture shows how they somehow manage to funnel all the food that comes in contact with them into their mouths; Idk how that works. It appears stick in string like shapes first so maybe it’s bound by mucus or something 

4548C991-2E21-47B9-9613-9F71807C25ED.jpeg

76ACBCFD-96D1-4076-B7D1-16AC3AAB2C47.jpeg

0B440B8A-3F56-4EC4-AC8E-374893245FA3.jpeg

• Like 1

I uploaded it as a short and the quality is better, could only fit half the video though 

Edit: annnd never mind this one’s blurry too, maybe my wifi is just bad 

• Like 1

Be careful with those flatworms. Those appear to be Red Planeria, a very large population at that. I've read that sometimes the population will randomly crash even without intervention by the reef keeper. Their deaths will then release toxins into your tank. You having such a small volume of water would probably crash your entire tank. It's crashed bigger tanks than yours for sure. I think a lot of people siphon out as many as possible while doing water changes and run carbon and do water changes while running Flatworm Exit or some similar treatment. It can be very hard on the setup. 

I apologize if you already know all this. I just never saw where anyone addressed it in your thread. 

• Like 2
banasophia

Yeah or you could try a trap for them… not sure if we talked about it in this thread because I think a couple of people have flatworms right now. Never tried it for flatworms but worked great for bristleworms in my tank and they are designed for planaria. @debbeach13 is also using for bristleworms in her tank. 

D33869AF-0F91-45AE-82E5-A2FF1346AC90.thumb.jpeg.c87ab4d19f878e4be5cde50ec873a893.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/4/2023 at 2:38 PM, banasophia said:

Yeah or you could try a trap for them… not sure if we talked about it in this thread because I think a couple of people have flatworms right now. Never tried it for flatworms but worked great for bristleworms in my tank and they are designed for planaria. @debbeach13 is also using for bristleworms in her tank. 

D33869AF-0F91-45AE-82E5-A2FF1346AC90.thumb.jpeg.c87ab4d19f878e4be5cde50ec873a893.jpeg

Can I just use fish flakes as bait, or would I need something specially desighned for this purpose? 

• NatureGuy changed the title to Mixed Reef Jar—big changes