Top Shelf Aquatics

Mixed Reef Jar—big changes

NatureGuy

Don't put open cuts into reef tanks. You can get nasty infections from that. Go put Neosporin or whatever equivalent you have on that cut. But, yeah, you're probably just anxious- infection doesn't kick in instantly. 

You also don't need to agitate the corals first. Just drain the water out and refill it; they'll be fine out of water for a bit. They handle the retraction on their own, same as when you take a frag out of the water for whatever reason.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/22/2023 at 3:36 PM, Tired said:

Just drain the water out and refill it; they'll be fine out of water for a bit.

good advice here. don't over complicate things, just do the water change

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agitated my lights against this morning. These are the settings now channel one (blues) 90%, channel two (whites) 80%, channel three (dark blue) 90%, channel four (green/red) 40-50% which seems really high since the tanks so small. I also found this lil starfish for the first time since I added coral 

Edit: the light is surprisingly white like this

edit edit: I must be losing a ton of light to the thick lid 

5E579914-74F8-4020-9C17-41F4E603FB00.jpeg

91D0F32E-15C1-4F77-99C0-74B09BA1B754.jpeg

• Like 2
InAtTheDeepEnd

not to burst your bubble but that looks like an asterina sp. - two species of that genus in particular, A. gibbosa and A. Stellifera, are known for being soft coral eaters (particularly zoas).

It's pretty hard to ID them down to species level in live specimens/without a microscope though. They're really cool organisms though, if I wasn't worried about them eating the frags I've paid good money for I'd have some cos they fascinate me, and my tank isn't big enough for any other common reef starfish species.

• Thanks 1
Just now, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

not to burst your bubble but that looks like an asterina sp. - two species of that genus in particular, A. gibbosa and A. Stellifera, are known for being soft coral eaters (particularly zoas).

It's pretty hard to ID them down to species level in live specimens/without a microscope though

This, and they also replicate pretty handily in our aquariums. You may find yourself overrun with them in this small of a setup if you don't pick them out regularly. This was one removal of an unchecked period in my old 10 gallon:

IM10-0038.thumb.jpg.d84ebab6db34fe576a7ddf23a7695d9d.jpg

• Thanks 1

Imma go murder it in that case. It came in on the frags (I saw it in the bag) so it would make sense that it eats coral 

edit: do they pose any benefits? Assuming it’s not an evil species 

edit edit: he’s kinda cute 

InAtTheDeepEnd

yeah, good luck 'murdering' it lol....they can reproduce asexually by fragmentation so just carefully remove/try and find a local reefer with a harlequin shrimp that needs feeding. Better than senseless (attempted) killing that'll make yours/your coral's situation worse. 

• Thanks 1
InAtTheDeepEnd

Yeah, some of these inverts are pretty incredible with how resilient they are. But then vagile marine organisms were some of the FIRST multi cellular organisms ever so it shouldn't be a surprise that if they can last for millennia on earth, of course they're gonna be hard to eradicate in our tanks, no matter how much we try and micromanage the environment

• Like 2

I disagree with killing it. I wound wait and see what it does. I have 100s of them and they eat algae and cyano. Not all are bad. 

Here they are not eating my zoas. They are going for algae on my glass. 

36E655AC-A2BB-4417-B5F7-4575A65DDDCE.thumb.jpeg.8ca59aaaaef3bd526141435b80e56500.jpeg

Here they are eating my cyano… 

BE6E341B-5E21-4AFC-AD70-6DA5708CC9DB.thumb.jpeg.137cd81e5c797653249f17d6144afe68.jpeg

The only time I have seen mine eat a coral was a coral that was already stressed and dying. They will certainly clean up decaying flesh which is true of many things in our tanks. 

I recently accidentally killed a Xenia and yes they crawled all over it and ate it but they never touched it when it was healthy. I had to dose too close to the Xenia causing it to shrivel and melt and they took the opportunity to eat the dying coral. 

Now I am not saying some don’t eat healthy coral. Their ocean is a huge place. I am just saying you don’t know that yours does and it could be a valuable CUC. 

They do reproduce quickly. To prune numbers, I suck some out with each water change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In that case, I’ll leave him in. He’s growing on me extremely quickly lol 

13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I disagree with killing it. I wound wait and see what it does. I have 100s of them and they eat algae and cyano. Not all are bad. 

Here they are not eating my zoas. They are going for algae on my glass. 

36E655AC-A2BB-4417-B5F7-4575A65DDDCE.thumb.jpeg.8ca59aaaaef3bd526141435b80e56500.jpeg

Here they are eating my cyano… 

BE6E341B-5E21-4AFC-AD70-6DA5708CC9DB.thumb.jpeg.137cd81e5c797653249f17d6144afe68.jpeg

The only time I have seen mine eat a coral was a coral that was already stressed and dying. They will certainly clean up decaying flesh which is true of many things in our tanks. 

I recently accidentally killed a Xenia and yes they crawled all over it and ate it but they never touched it when it was healthy. I had to dose too close to the Xenia causing it to shrivel and melt and they took the opportunity to eat the dying coral. 

Now I am not saying some don’t eat healthy coral. Their ocean is a huge place. I am just saying you don’t know that yours does and it could be a valuable CUC. 

They do reproduce quickly. To prune numbers, I suck some out with each water change. 

• Like 1
  • NatureGuy changed the title to Mixed Reef Jar—big changes