Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mixed Reef Jar—big changes

NatureGuy

On 1/11/2023 at 12:31 AM, NatureGuy said:

Okay so I just checked the bowl and it was down to 70 F. The heater came on with a lil tap, but I dont really trust it anymore. There's still nothing but liverock in the tank, I dont think the heat was out for more then 24 hours probably less. Will this have harmed the bacteria? I think I'm gonna get a temerature controller now, what brands are good? 

Edit: it already bliped out again, I just ordered an inkbird controller  and a secondary heater

What about one of those coffee mug warmers under the jar with an inkbird probe tucked in the back?

I think a snail and some macro algae, and I assume a softie or two once it’s seasoned, can probably handle a temp swing like that without fussing, but I can’t say I’ve tried jar reefing

2 hours ago, NatureGuy said:

Both the two pumps I’ve used to circulate water that’s heating in preparation for a WC have quit within one to two uses. Am I just unlucky or does the salt break pumps meant for fresh or something? 

To an extent, saltwater chews through gear faster in all respects as it’s more caustic water.  But I use plenty of generic utility pumps meant for fresh water from Amazon.  They last from a few years to “that still works?”.  So you’re likely just unlucky 😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/14/2023 at 12:59 AM, PJPS said:

What about one of those coffee mug warmers under the jar with an inkbird probe tucked in the back?

I think a snail and some macro algae, and I assume a softie or two once it’s seasoned, can probably handle a temp swing like that without fussing, but I can’t say I’ve tried jar reefing

There are no longer large temp swings so it’s good. 

Babies have grown 

6BDA4EC3-B79F-4702-A485-E0CB9A8EC8C6.jpeg

F6AEB78C-260E-4896-99BB-7843DCA528C5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 12:06 PM, NatureGuy said:

What’s this tube thing 

2D50A38D-1F67-48EE-AB49-17E4C3A77564.jpeg

Vermetid snail

On 2/25/2023 at 10:40 AM, NatureGuy said:

And what are these? There’s quite a few of them quite suddenly 

0E753997-556E-475A-887F-33E23F3FA679.png

2E670370-7D1A-491A-9C0C-BCFF2D7F84E4.png

Munnid isopod

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • NatureGuy changed the title to NatureGuy’s sort of kind of not really Aquaculture Softie Jar- New Coral!

I read something from an article saying that hard corals polyps were interconnected and shared resources, but soft corals didn’t. I was wondering if this was consistent throughout all corals in these categories or if it was more general.

• NatureGuy changed the title to NatureGuy’s sort of kind of not really Aquaculture Softie Jar- 0ppm NO3?

Nitrates in the jar are untraceable, whereas the water change water comes in at 10 ppm. It’s been five days since my last water change, so I guess thats used up pretty quickly. I’ll start feeding more regularly and heavier and see what happens. 

I’d not planed to test the jar ever, but brought NO3 and PO4 tests on a wim. Guess I’ve gotten lucky. 

Just tried removing the mushrooms from the plugs with a razor blade. They’re all affixed to ruble, which is, in turn, glued to the plugs. It was easy to get the rubble free. Unfortunately, the peace the ricordea is on is too small for me to use super glue without a glueing the foot. If I just leave the coral in the dark, will it find its way to a spot of its liking by itself? 

It’s really difficult to move anything around in the pico. If I were to start form square one, I’d get a shallow container and make a scape consisting of many small disconnected rocks which could be easily removed from the tank for all my glueing needs  

• NatureGuy changed the title to Mixed Reef Jar—big changes