Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mixed Reef Jar—big changes

NatureGuy

I just finished gluing in the coral, it was easier than I thought, but there was a hiccup. I didn’t expect the super glue to be so runny and ended up getting quite a bit on the base of one of the clove polyps. Hopefully it’s fine, but I kind of think I may’ve lost that one.

edit: I also got some of the algae of with a toothbrush 

3E5484DA-3B85-498A-96F9-2420BC7467B5.jpeg

599700E1-C0C4-4573-A1F9-3FC3DDCB3871.jpeg

• Like 2
  • NatureGuy changed the title to NatureGuy’s All Aquaculture Softie Jar- corals are glued in!

Corals don't like being glued on, but if the polyp can still open, it has a solid chance at surviving. If nothing else, it's clove polyps, they grow fast. 

Gel superglue is easier to wrangle, for future reference. As you might guess, it's more of a gel texture, and doesn't run everywhere. 

• Thanks 1

I learned something today that is relevant to this thread:

Maybe individual aesthetics might play a factor but as far as what's idea for a system will need some way to quantify the algae and biofilms they feed on and what's best to maintain those algae and biofilms in peak condition.

FWIW these are actually Aquilonastra sp starfish not Asterina sp. Asterina species only reproduce sexually so are unlikely to reproduce in aquaria and are also rather shortlived. Aquilonastra on the other hand, primary reproduction is fissiparous (splitting) and reproduce readily (which explains the various number of legs).

As far as them attacking corals from what I've seen and read it seems to me excellent examples of misidentification, mistaken behavior and assumed causality based just on heresay without looking at the research. The mucus coating on corals ages and corals have to periodically shed it to renew it and maintain healthy microbial processes (Ref 1, Ref 2). Aqualonastra perform an important function not only feeding off and algae films but also feeding off microbial films including those on corals forcing the films to rejuvenate themselves. If Aquilonastra are feeding on zoas or softies they are either benign or even beneficial as they may be reducing the unhealthy older mucus which can be full of unhealthy microbes which the animal is trying to get rid of and are far more likely to be the actual problem.

Here's an example, this Toadstool is doing one of it's periodic sheddings. The Aquilonastra have been in this system for years but only climb onto the Toadstool when it's shedding. In the first picture you can see the old mucus film, Aquilonastra starfish and areas they have cleaned off. The second picture shows the Toadstool a week later after it had finished shedding and the starfish moved on and clearly hasn't been harmed by it.

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/is-there-a-point-where-there-are-too-many-asterina-sea-stars.12815/

• Thanks 1
InAtTheDeepEnd
15 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I learned something today that is relevant to this thread:

Maybe individual aesthetics might play a factor but as far as what's idea for a system will need some way to quantify the algae and biofilms they feed on and what's best to maintain those algae and biofilms in peak condition.

FWIW these are actually Aquilonastra sp starfish not Asterina sp. Asterina species only reproduce sexually so are unlikely to reproduce in aquaria and are also rather shortlived. Aquilonastra on the other hand, primary reproduction is fissiparous (splitting) and reproduce readily (which explains the various number of legs).

As far as them attacking corals from what I've seen and read it seems to me excellent examples of misidentification, mistaken behavior and assumed causality based just on heresay without looking at the research. The mucus coating on corals ages and corals have to periodically shed it to renew it and maintain healthy microbial processes (Ref 1, Ref 2). Aqualonastra perform an important function not only feeding off and algae films but also feeding off microbial films including those on corals forcing the films to rejuvenate themselves. If Aquilonastra are feeding on zoas or softies they are either benign or even beneficial as they may be reducing the unhealthy older mucus which can be full of unhealthy microbes which the animal is trying to get rid of and are far more likely to be the actual problem.

Here's an example, this Toadstool is doing one of it's periodic sheddings. The Aquilonastra have been in this system for years but only climb onto the Toadstool when it's shedding. In the first picture you can see the old mucus film, Aquilonastra starfish and areas they have cleaned off. The second picture shows the Toadstool a week later after it had finished shedding and the starfish moved on and clearly hasn't been harmed by it.

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/is-there-a-point-where-there-are-too-many-asterina-sea-stars.12815/

Oh! That is SUPER cool. 

Now I gotta get me some of those lil Aquilonastra dudes....it's always pained me a bit that my tank is too small, at 5g, for any of the common starfish species:(

• Like 1

I just got home and the light didn’t turn off automatically like it’s supposed to. On for about 12 hours, the cloves were closed up, but the zoas where just chillin, they really live up to their reputation lol 

69B1F0D3-DF3E-4C36-AE35-EAF00F198D5B.jpeg

• NatureGuy changed the title to NatureGuy’s All Aquaculture Softie Jar- I think I made a mistake pt. 2

I moved the light so that it would more evenly distribute light throughout the tank. The cloves improved significantly; however, the lower zoas have now started stretching again. I think I’ve glued too soon, is there some way I could unglue it? 

B2691322-BD59-4524-9AFA-73F8807E549F.jpeg

C347E226-E31E-4F62-ACC9-3D164D6078E5.jpeg

E283D169-1A68-45E6-9B6D-01582B20665B.jpeg

• NatureGuy changed the title to NatureGuy’s All Aquaculture Softie Jar- LFS is a little over cooked

I’m kinda beginning to feel like the cloves are just on a steady decline since I got them. There are good days (first picture, yesterday) and there are bad days (second picture, today). On neither do they look good as they did originally (last pic) which is disheartening. Also algae is becoming a problem 

edit: I’m not sure “steady decline” is the right word, in general they just never looks as good as they did 

3F988664-32D7-4F67-BD32-AE374553A400.jpeg

E93A316D-E998-4EEC-9701-DF7A720AFAF5.jpeg

03D08738-A264-4DE3-AE31-CA5580386387.jpeg

In today's picture I see new growth along the bottom. You got these about 3 weeks ago. Just let them be. 3 weeks from now you should have a nice-looking cluster of polyps. 3 months after that you will be complaining they are taking over the rock!

• Like 1
  • NatureGuy changed the title to Mixed Reef Jar—big changes