Coral Vue Hydros

Conjoined twin Turban snail? Parasite?

Ohmegg

When I purchased this snail I thought it just had a smaller one riding along on its shell. I now observe an independent mouth, eyes and tentacles coming out from underneath and eating algae, but the smaller snail is embedded in the larger shell of the individual. Anyone ever seen this before? 

24EB3523-6A56-4558-A9C0-5449207BF23A.jpeg

8 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

It's a barnacle. I have an abalone has one hitchhiking on his shell as well. They are harmless filter feeders.

A barnacle with a functional mouth tentacles and eyes? 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Maybe you can get a better photo that illustrates more of the details you're seeing?

Here you can see the limpets cute little face poking out (it eats hair algae that the snail moves through so that's cool).

D85CC021-9694-4399-8947-CBDEE2D2D06F.png

Just to be clear, when you say "face", you're talk about the left "trunk" like thing sticking out from underside of the snail?  

the shell structure on top the snail shell is a type of bivalve, I have a small colony of them on a rock.  4-5 indivduals that sort of grow on top of each other.  this one just seems to have attached itself to the snail.

• Agree 1
12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Just to be clear, when you say "face", you're talk about the left "trunk" like thing sticking out from underside of the snail?  

the shell structure on top the snail shell is a type of bivalve, I have a small colony of them on a rock.  4-5 indivduals that sort of grow on top of each other.  this one just seems to have attached itself to the snail.

See photo. The bivalve (I think it's a limpet), has two antenna and a mount that extends and eats hair algae. 

00187E03-BD1D-4770-8249-D56CFC341DC3.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever it is, appears to be growing noticeably.  👍

image.png.deda61692ab83edbb97aaa26acb79ff1.png

It does seem to maybe have a small opening at the top of its shell like a limpet.

23 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Whatever it is, appears to be growing noticeably.  👍

image.png.deda61692ab83edbb97aaa26acb79ff1.png

It does seem to maybe have a small opening at the top of its shell like a limpet.

Yes, I'm pretty sure now it's a limpet. So weird that it just hangs on right there near the head of the snail, and judging from the growth deformity on the snails shell it has been there for a very long time, perhaps years. 

Kinda sounds like the limpets I spotted on my new conch the other day, although I don't believe mine have the keyholes on top for respiration (keyhole limpets are actually a related snail and not true limpets). Mine have yet to leave the conch, or even really move around at all afaik, but I do see them lift up their shells from time to time to grab food from the sand as the conch moves along.

PXL_20221009_000738174.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, WaterBoxer said:

Kinda sounds like the limpets I spotted on my new conch the other day, although I don't believe mine have the keyholes on top for respiration (keyhole limpets are actually a related snail and not true limpets). Mine have yet to leave the conch, or even really move around at all afaik, but I do see them lift up their shells from time to time to grab food from the sand as the conch moves along.

PXL_20221009_000738174.jpg

Yes these look just like what I got. I don't think they move around at all their entire lives.

1 hour ago, Ohmegg said:

Yes these look just like what I got. I don't think they move around at all their entire lives.

I read that limpets, or at least some species, can secrete a mucus that actually acts as a strong adhesive to keep them in place for as long as they want. If they are getting enough food, then they can just stay where they are. Otherwise, they can secrete a different mucus with specific carbohydrates that break down the adhesive and allow them to move again.

The article I saw talked about limpets staying in place in tidal pools with waves crashing against them, but I'd imagine related species could very well use it to hitch a ride to larger snails or other creatures too. I don't think limpets are very fast and having a mobile home that you can just reach out and grab food from is probably pretty nice. A couple of my smaller (presumably younger) ones are living on top of the bigger ones, so I wonder if the babies do the same to their parents.

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Ohmegg said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure now it's a limpet. So weird that it just hangs on right there near the head of the snail, and judging from the growth deformity on the snails shell it has been there for a very long time, perhaps years. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if they've grown up together, so maybe a lifetime!  

6 hours ago, WaterBoxer said:

A couple of my smaller (presumably younger) ones are living on top of the bigger ones, so I wonder if the babies do the same to their parents.

I think if they can find enough food around their shell, then that's a pretty good life.  I suppose a snail does a good job of finding the kind of foods (and sunshine) that a limpet would like!  LOL

It's a tongue twister, but they are apparently also called a "slipper limpet".  😂.  Good find, I think you're right!   Crepidula spp., apparently!

slipper limpet slipper limpet slipper limpet slipper limpet slipper limpet

Say that, I dare you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2