Cultivated Reef

Hole in rock flower anemone

MsEdnaBaby

I recently purchased a rfa, a tiny one, and now I see that there is a hole in the center of it. The lfs I bought it from is a very well established shop I’ve NEVER had an issue. Is this normal for small rfa’s? You can see right through it…🤷🏽‍♀️

image.jpg

I tried to zoom in on the pic just a bit more because now it moved. It moved so it must still be alive, im just assuming though 😑. I have never experienced this before 

46D2F498-DE31-4A55-90DA-19DF791A51CD.jpeg

I was able to see right the opening looked like a donut 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
16 minutes ago, MsEdnaBaby said:

I tried to zoom in on the pic just a bit more because now it moved. It moved so it must still be alive, im just assuming though 😑. I have never experienced this before 

46D2F498-DE31-4A55-90DA-19DF791A51CD.jpeg

I was able to see right the opening looked like a donut 

hmm. it's to blue. Any chance  you can switch to white light so we can get a better look at?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

even if you turn off the lights and use a flashlight.. that could be better also

Maybe this helps a bit more the hole is see through, but the rfa is still moving and stuff. Also the flesh is white-ish too but it’s still moving except the tentacles are like really small 

628344C2-1714-4A51-868C-D3C9FD682310.jpeg

Was it through to the other side or just the mouth gaping open. If it was just the mouth. They do that if unwell or OCASIONALY when first introduced. If it was all the way through like you can see rock/sand on the other side its probly a gonner.

Are the tenticles also shrunk up?  Color also looks a bit washed out. If so it's not healthy and probly gaping because it's going to die.

How long have you had it what did it look like when first introduced? Do you have other rfa or any coral?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Was it through to the other side or just the mouth gaping open. If it was just the mouth. They do that if unwell or OCASIONALY when first introduced. If it was all the way through like you can see rock/sand on the other side its probly a gonner.

Are the tenticles also shrunk up?  Color also looks a bit washed out. If so it's not healthy and probly gaping because it's going to die.

How long have you had it what did it look like when first introduced? Do you have other rfa or any coral?

Yes it was see through, I just got it yesterday, I introduced it like I do my other rfa’s. And yes the tentacles are shrunken it’s about the size of a dime. It’s a baby so to speak. Im looking at it now it it looks as if the hole closed up this is weird. I really hope it’s not a goner 🤞🏽🤞🏽

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
38 minutes ago, MsEdnaBaby said:

Yes it was see through, I just got it yesterday, I introduced it like I do my other rfa’s. And yes the tentacles are shrunken it’s about the size of a dime. It’s a baby so to speak. Im looking at it now it it looks as if the hole closed up this is weird. I really hope it’s not a goner 🤞🏽🤞🏽

I hope so too 🤞. Just watch it for the next week. See what happens and I'm pulling for it.

• Thanks 1

The tenticles should be much larger. Its color is washed out. If it looked like this at the store most likely it was already unhealthy.

Is it "sticky" at all? Like can you feel it grab you with the tenticles or is it anchoring to anything?

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

The tenticles should be much larger. Its color is washed out. If it looked like this at the store most likely it was already unhealthy.

Is it "sticky" at all? Like can you feel it grab you with the tenticles or is it anchoring to anything?

Yes it is stick and did feel like that when I placed it in the tank. I placed it on a rock and it moved itself to the other side along the rock and the sand is where it’s anchored right now. So weird  

So today is Thursday the 8th and it looks like this 💔. Idk what’s going on all my other little critters are doing great. I have another rfa that’s is larger and that baby blooms like there is no tomorrow 😍🪸. But this little fella I really want to save and help 😭💔🤷🏽‍♀️

4850B988-089D-40B0-AB3C-BC7E30A8F7F1.jpeg

Well I just wanted to say thank y’all for the advice, but I believe my new baby rfa did not make it💔. I don’t understand everyone else in the tank is doing great. Must have been something from the lfs to my home. Thanks. 

• Sad 3
3 hours ago, MsEdnaBaby said:

Well I just wanted to say thank y’all for the advice, but I believe my new baby rfa did not make it💔. I don’t understand everyone else in the tank is doing great. Must have been something from the lfs to my home. Thanks. 

If they damaged the foot, it's almost a sure thing that it would die.  It's relatively easy to safely remove an anemone from the glass, but almost impossible to quickly remove one from a rock without damaging it.

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On 9/8/2022 at 8:40 PM, MsEdnaBaby said:

Damn sorry to hear that 😥

Sorry to hear, the only rips I've seen like this were from damage when trying to remove it from what it was stuck to (in my case a maxi mini), but I did actually have that nem survive despite a hole clean through the middle.  I think it's more difficult for a smaller one to survive this sort of trauma because there will be a healing period when it can't eat that it needs the size to be able to last through.

• Thanks 1