Cultivated Reef

Clean QT Tank after using as a Hospital Tank

darylm74

I had a recent outbreak of ich and pop-eye.  Never had it before in my 30 years of reef keeping somehow, but now I need to clean it up.  I unfortunately was only able to save 1 of 3 fish from my nano-cube.  Anyway I have used Cupramine and eventually want to revert it back to my new fish quarantine tank now that everything is back to normal.  I want to add fish back to my nano fish-only and also have a nano sexy shrimp that I want to add a clown goby too (which was ordered but had to bail due to the ich issue).  How do I clean the tank?  Nothing but a biowheel filter, tank, heater, powerhead and some pvc pipe for things to hide.

• 2 weeks later...

Ich can't survive being dried out for 24 hours. Discard anything porous that might retain pockets of water, but other than that, rinse with fresh water and let it sit for a week, That'll kill the ich off. Preferably sit it in the sun for extra drying and unfriendliness to pathogens. 

On 9/4/2022 at 8:55 PM, darylm74 said:

I had a recent outbreak of ich and pop-eye.

It's generally believed that pop eye comes from septic water....just dirty conditions.  Ich comes from stressed fish in overcrowded conditions.

Was this the first time you bought fish sight unseen...from far away?  I'm positive you didn't start out doing that thirty years ago.  This (in a nutshell) was possibly the key difference from then to now.  😉

I unfortunately was only able to save 1 of 3 fish from my nano-cube. 

What is that fish?

How big is that tank?

Anyway I have used Cupramine and eventually want to revert it back to my new fish quarantine tank now that everything is back to normal.  I want to add fish back to my nano fish-only and also have a nano sexy shrimp that I want to add a clown goby too (which was ordered but had to bail due to the ich issue).  How do I clean the tank?  Nothing but a biowheel filter, tank, heater, powerhead and some pvc pipe for things to hide.

I'm not clear on what you mean in this section.  Posting some full tank pics might help!

Do you have more than one tank?  A stripped down hospital tank like you have described is not good for anything more than short term housing...."days" or so.  Especially if it's a very small tank.

For any longer than "days or so" you want a more fully fledged fish tank – some live rock, maybe some fake decorations/plants, decent water flow, etc.

Cupramine says it can be removed with activated carbon, FYI.