ReefCleaners.org

Best way to disinfect equipment w Dino infestation?

Genie382

Hi all, after a year long battle with Dinos, I’m breaking down my 14 gallon and restarting another tank. I’d like to repurpose my ATO, heater and wave maker. Any recommendations on how to best clean/sterilize the equipment to prevent transfer of the dinos to the new tank? Thanks!

Yeah, that's what I've heard too.  I'd complete the cleaning with a vinegar solution, as you would with other equipment when breaking down a tank.  Vinegar will help dissolve any mineral deposits as well as act as a weak disinfectant.  Bleach can be used as a more powerful disinfectant, but wouldn't be needed to kill dinos.  But NEVER use vinegar and bleach at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Vinegar therapy is an option. some 1:1 vinegar/water solution can be used to clean your tank, filter, heater, and all decorations. All of the items can soak for several hours. When the items have finished soaking, thoroughly rinse everything. or bleach therapy can be tried, but I don't know much about it. Another important consideration is that bleach is extremely hazardous to fish. Bleach can irritate the skin and is harmful if consumed or comes into contact with the eyes. As a result, it is a little risky.