Will this work?

InAtTheDeepEnd

InAtTheDeepEnd

I've managed to acquire another free tank as people locally are giving them away in droves due to the skyrocketing price of living. I think it would be a good refugium for my 18usg goby tank to take the total system volume to 85 litres /22usg, but am not sure my plan is plausible. These are the two options I think I have; basically the only difference is the location of the pump, in the display versus not. Are either of these likely to work?

PXL_20220811_184227627.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20220811_084155659.jpg

PXL_20220811_084458035.jpg

I'm not sure if I fully understand your diagrams.  What is the second smaller box, which is on top of the smaller tank?

But in general:

• The tank with the highest waterline (your display tank in this case) must overflow into the tank with the lower waterline (the refugium in this case).
  • The lower tank (refugium) must pump water into the higher tank, and then the extra water overflows back into the lower tank.
  • The lower tank must also be able to handle the back flow of water from the overflow, return, and plumbing in the case of a power outage.

I'm a believer in drilling the overflow, but there are HOB overflows as well.  A drilled overflow is much less likely to fail than a HOB/siphon overflow.

Pretty risky have two pumps pump into each tank separately. As Seabass has stated - one tank needs to be gravity fed into the other. This way it doesn't matter if one pump is pumping more water than the other. 

I tried HOB overflow - Pokpo Genisis - It worked well, however it needed a syphon to work and it was too stressful and never kept a consistent water level. I ended up drilling an overflow too. 

You can buy pretty cheap glass drill bits on eBay. Watch a few videos and make sure you keep the hole wet as you drill.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess that other box is an external pump.

If you used two pumps, you'd need values and cut off switches to try to balance the flow.  Even then, a switch or pump failure would have catastrophic results.

InAtTheDeepEnd

there isn't two pumps, just one? The options are literally whether the (single, individual, only one) pump goes in the display or in the refugium.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

there isn't two pumps, just one? The options are literally whether the (single, individual, only one) pump goes in the display or in the refugium.

Oh, OK.  No worries; I feel that most of us were a little confused when we first tried to figure out how to plumb a sump.  But once you wrap your head around it, it's actually pretty simple.

So you always have to pump from the lower water level up to the higher water level.  Without an overflow, inevitably, the water would overflow over the top.  An overflow directs this water back to the tank that is pumping the water.  Like I said, there are HOB overflows which rely on a working siphon (and if the siphon fails, you'll have a flood, as all of the water from the sump would get pumped into the display and spill over the top of the tank).  There are some HOB overflows which suction out air out of the siphon and are pretty reliable; but I still prefer a drilled overflow.

There would be no way to pump water from the higher water level to the lower water level and have it return without the help of another pump.  And like we pointed out above, that isn't very practical.  The traditional overflow is really the only reliable way to plumb a sump.

InAtTheDeepEnd

Ok, so in fairness, this misunderstanding is my bad, I think my original post wasn't really clear enough.

I should have just titled it, 'how to plumb sump that is lower than display'...because that's what I'm struggling with (and what my poor diagrams are an attempt to solve). 

I don't really want the sump taller than the display because I think it looks kind of messy, but today I did buy a plastic food container box that I can fit over the grey tank so it is taller/can overflow if there's really no way to make it work with the sump lower. I would prefer to keep things as simple as possible because I've never really needed/wanted to DIY anything for any of my tanks in the past. In short this is what I am thinking may be the best way to go about things: 1695731217_sumpthoughts.thumb.JPG.fd86026bf0dd01a9daf677d0f5332f7a.JPG

1)      Water drawn out of display by pump and into grey tank

2)      Grey tank fills up

3)      When full, water forced up into food container above

4)      This contains outlet pipe leading back to display so effectively overflows back into display

Pumps are made to push water, not draw water.  So the pump would then be placed in the display and push water into the sump.

1 hour ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

how to plumb sump that is lower than display

This is usually the case.  Normally the sump is under the tank, but they can sit on the same surface like you are describing.

1 hour ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

I don't really want the sump taller than the display because I think it looks kind of messy, but today I did buy a plastic food container box that I can fit over the grey tank so it is taller/can overflow if there's really no way to make it work with the sump lower.

I'm not sure how that would work.  The grey tank would have to have a completely sealed top in order to attempt this.

This is how it should be plumbed:

sump.jpg.7947473f39e375438ee94e5cee675405.jpg

1. Water is pumped from the sump (grey tank) into the display.
  2. The display fills to the level of the overflow (drain).
  3. Additional water overflows through the drain, and goes back into the sump.