Pod Your Reef

Adding RODI water in AIO

AiredaleReef

AiredaleReef

Any advice on where to add RODI water back into the tank? In other words, when topping off, should I add water directly into display or should I add to a chamber? If chamber, should it be added to the first, second or return?  I don't seem to need to top off but once a week if that, and it is usually just half a quart. 

TIA

Toomanymatts

I have my auto top off return set at the inflow chamber.  In my mind it gives that water the most time to mix before heading into the display. 

You should consider a basic auto top off, that way you are only adding water in small doses, rather than half a quart at a time.

I've been having good luck with this one:  https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/prism-auto-top-off-reefbreeders-1.html

I turned the probe to a 45 degree angle to tighten up the range at which the auto top off kicks in. 

Anywhere that's not directly poured onto a coral is probably fine, but a back chamber, any chamber, is better. 

Half a quart of water would be a lot in a 2gal tank, and nothing to a 200gal. Tank size is important there, for context. 

• 1 month later...

Anywhere is fine in my experience.  

I have auto-top off fill into the final chamber of the three but this is where I have the sensor so it makes sense.  

Before I had one connected to a hang on back filter.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

These guys offer a solid DIY ato option:

http://autotopoff.com

If you continue adding top-off water manually, then I would strongly suggest topping off the tank daily, even though it seems like a really small amount.  You will preclude any possibility of making a large salinity change or shocking any critters that way.

• Like 2