Pod Your Reef

Looking for online retailer to replace LFS

daniejd

Title says it all. Have became disenchanted with my local fish stores (only a few in the area). Looking for an online retailer that has good fish husbandry practices. For example quarantining fish BEFORE they sale them, preferring aquacultured over wild caught, if it is wild caught ensuring that the fish is healthy and eating before selling etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Live Aquaria Diver's Den: https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/category/3/marine-fish

• The Diver's Den® WYSIWYG Store Difference
    What makes aquatic life available in the Diver's Den® WYSIWYG Store truly one-of-a-kind is the 5-point acclimation, stress reduction, disease prevention, quarantine, and conditioning protocols we employ under the strict supervision of our dedicated LiveAquaria® professionals.

While this improves the chance of getting a healthy fish, it doesn't guarantee a disease-free specimen.  I'd still recommend further quarantine at home to be sure not to infect your other fish.

Quarantined Fish: https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/

Location is important,it can help with cost of shipping.I live in Florida can usually get live shipping for around 30.00 overnight compared to 70 on up for overnight.I've used Top Shelf for local on line corals also, Corals Anonymous for out of state. C .A. has a good point system can help with shipping cost.

1 hour ago, Knipps said:

Location is important,it can help with cost of shipping.I live in Florida can usually get live shipping for around 30.00 overnight compared to 70 on up for overnight.I've used Top Shelf for local on line corals also, Corals Anonymous for out of state. C .A. has a good point system can help with shipping cost.

Thank you. Mainly looking for fish, I am a beginner, am I wrong in thinking coral are generally hardier (less prone to desease)? Knock on wood. (I thought the same thing about fish until ich swept through my tank)

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Live Aquaria Diver's Den: https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/category/3/marine-fish

• The Diver's Den® WYSIWYG Store Difference
    What makes aquatic life available in the Diver's Den® WYSIWYG Store truly one-of-a-kind is the 5-point acclimation, stress reduction, disease prevention, quarantine, and conditioning protocols we employ under the strict supervision of our dedicated LiveAquaria® professionals.

While this improves the risk of getting a healthy fish, it doesn't guarantee a disease-free specimen.  I'd still recommend further quarantine at home to be sure not to infect your other fish.

Quarantined Fish: https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/

Thank You. This was exactly what I was looking for!

2 hours ago, daniejd said:

Thank You. This was exactly what I was looking for!

I bought a fish from LADD, and got a sick clown goby that wasn't eating. Their quality has wildly dropped off, and they're now notorious for terrible customer service. Their packaging is bad, too, and the quarantine procedures they describe won't fully eliminate the possibility of disease anyway. Their feedback area on Reef2Reef is full of unhappy people. 

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?information/

There's a list here of people who sell pre-quarantined fish. Dr Reefs isn't on here, but they're good also. They sell fish that are fully quarantined, and shouldn't have any of the common diseases, though there's always a chance that somewhere can have something weird. 

21 minutes ago, Tired said:

I bought a fish from LADD, and got a sick clown goby that wasn't eating. Their quality has wildly dropped off, and they're now notorious for terrible customer service. Their packaging is bad, too, and the quarantine procedures they describe won't fully eliminate the possibility of disease anyway. Their feedback area on Reef2Reef is full of unhappy people. 

Like I said, home quarantine is still recommended.  It's been several years since I've purchased anything from them.  Still, knowing what they used to be, I'm sad to hear this, and find it a little hard to imagine that they've fallen so far.  I'm sure that there are still plenty of satisfied customers, but the amount of negative reviews has certainly gone up.  It sounds like the Petco buyout has taken its toll on the quality of product being offered.

• Like 1

I have used blue zoo aquatics for fish before and the process went great.   Quick Shipping, everything was alive and healthy.

For CUC 

Reef Cleaners is by far the best.

For Coral?   I dont have a good one of those, I have used aqua SD in the past and been pretty happy.    They also have an Ebay page and they auction loads of coral starting at .99, I have gotten lucky and gotten some frags for 2-3.00