Pod Your Reef

Tiny stripey crabs, porcelains?

Barefeets024

Barefeets024

I was recently presented a Flat Clawed Hermit Crab (Named Jeff) and I decided to keep him because of all the interesting things attached to the shell he's wearing.

Several snails and barnacles for the cleaning crew, plus an anemone. (Score!) But there are also at least 4 much smaller crabs that tagged along. 

I apologize for the poor photo quality, but does anyone happen to know what these little orangey stripey crabs are? Google isn't helping. I found one similar picture on one site saying it was a "cherry striped porcelain crab" but nothing close comes up searching for that specifically. Caught in the Southeastern US.

IMG_20220809_161544268.jpg

IMG_20220809_232856768~2.jpg

• Like 1

How many functional walking legs have the crabs got true crabs have 4 pairs porcelain crabs have 3 pairs and 2 vestibule legs at the rear folded up near the body. Porcelain crabs are not actualy a crab. If there was a better picture ID would be easier. I dont think Jeff is a reef safe hermit. Looks like a big boy.

Aw, look how cute! I've read about porcelain crabs that have a symbiosis with hermits- gimme a minute. 

Edit: here they are. https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/295254-Porcellana-sayana

Jeff is definitely not going to be reef-safe, except for the reef stuff on his back. Put him in a tank with proper lighting and a well-established biofilter, and you have a pretty cool specimen critter, with tag-along smaller critters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Barefeets024

Thank you! The species in the link looks like a pretty good match. Long time lurker, first time poster, I knew someone here could help! 

Risking crucifixion, I'll admit I have a more au naturel set up... Right now, they are all in an almost self-sufficient habitat. All inverts, natural filtration from various bivalves, and a stellar cleaning crew. I do have an aerator though, because most of my plants are fake. Jeff has been exclusively eating mole crabs, but those are easy to find. Honestly, the most voracious predator in either of my setups is a giant knobbed whelk. It eats 4 decent sized clams per week.

I know I sound crazy, but my "wild" tanks are doing better than anything I've ever tried to build myself. 

IMG_20220811_025352501~2.jpg

IMG_20220713_231145779.jpg

• Like 1

As long as you have some source of flow, some source of light, and enough rocks and whatnot to house a biofilter, hardy animals should thrive. Though the anemone might have higher lighting demands than your other critters. 

Got any full tank shots? 

You probably don't need to keep feeding Jeff on live mole crabs. I'm sure he'd take a chunk of dead food if you offered it to him via tweezers. Also, keep an eye on the porcelains, make sure they're filter-feeding or getting his scraps. Maybe try to directly hand them some food, if you can manage it without it getting stolen. Maybe distract Jeff first. 

• Like 1

This is super cool. I dont see many local biotope or wild type set ups around now days. If I had reasonably close access to colect critters like this where I live I totaly would. If you were intrested in clearing the water for easier viewing a simple hang on back filter with some floss and possibly a bit of carbon could help you clear up the water.

• Agree 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 3:31 AM, Barefeets024 said:

Thank you! The species in the link looks like a pretty good match. Long time lurker, first time poster, I knew someone here could help! 

Risking crucifixion, I'll admit I have a more au naturel set up... Right now, they are all in an almost self-sufficient habitat. All inverts, natural filtration from various bivalves, and a stellar cleaning crew. I do have an aerator though, because most of my plants are fake. Jeff has been exclusively eating mole crabs, but those are easy to find. Honestly, the most voracious predator in either of my setups is a giant knobbed whelk. It eats 4 decent sized clams per week.

I know I sound crazy, but my "wild" tanks are doing better than anything I've ever tried to build myself. 

IMG_20220811_025352501~2.jpg

IMG_20220713_231145779.jpg

Very cool that you keep a big predatory snail like that and feed it.