Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Over feeding sucks: A tale of stupidity

Blind Tree Frog

Blind Tree Frog

So you can all kick my ass, I'll tell you a story of stupidity.

Over the weekend I picked up a royal gamma and some Yellow Gorgonian frags. I place such creatures in my tank on saturday.

I pick up an auto feeder for the RG (I've still got 4 weeks of vacation i need to take, the tank is at the office, and I'm not sure who will be around for the holidays. He can deal with dry food for a bit).

Yesterday I picked up some frozen bloodworms (just cus) and some frozen plankton. Today I figure some good food might ease the fish a bit so I decide to toss some plankton and blood worms into the tank. I go and pull them from the freezer and break off a chunk of bloodworms that seemed to be the correct size. Perhaps it was a bit large, but I didn't think so at the time.

I also break off a chunk of plankton. Well, to close the package up, I need to break off a bit more then I wanted, but no big deal, so I over feed the frags by a little. (Note, the frags aren't glued down. One is standing in the sand, one is laying on the sand because I can't get it to stand anywhere, and the others are propped up on rocks using crevices and holes. Quality #### here :D but hey, they were free and seem to be getting used to it. 2 are fully open and 2 are starting to open. 1 isn't at all. oh well)

Now, you might start to realise where this is going. I put the food away and swirl the cup of water that has the frozen treats in it around a bit. I then dump them into the tank. It looks like a lovely snow globe with red plankton floating everywhere. Yeah, I overfed by just a bit. On the up side, my RG came out to swim around. I'm sure he got a good meal, though I did notice an odd colorred spot on his back that worried me a little. I'll have to see how it goes. I've changed a liter of water already (liters are conviented to change at a time for me once I figure out the right amount of salt to add) to skim off the film that quickly formed on top of the tank. I'm going to change a minimum of a liter a day for a bit until the water unclouds some (kicked up some sand too, so need to wait for it to settle so I know if the sand or the food clouded the water).

Anyhow, the ass kicking may begin.

Blind Tree Frog

Damn, no ridicule. I've apparently been on the net for far too long. That or most of you saw how long the post was and stopped reading it after the first paragraph :D

Blind Tree Frog

Nah, I know. But we've all been online long enough to know that even when you do an ok thing, but not the absolute best, someone will jump on you for it. The thread was done in good humor.

Emo, any reason for that?

Blind, you're stupid! Stupid, Stupid, Stupid! How could you possibly do something so dumb? People like you should burn in hell!

LoL- How's that Blind?

Seriously though, who hasn't overfed at on time or another? I know I have!

Blind Tree Frog

Much better.

At least it was a pretty overfeeding. It was like a Blizzard of Blood (cus it was red). And like I said, the Gamma seemed happy. He was all over the place (within 5 inches of his hiding hole which is no longer as hidden since i moved some rocks and don't know where he is now)

EDIT

Correction, he's in the same hole. It was deeper then I realised. He ain't coming out though.

Archived