Coral Vue Hydros

Hardscape feedback

LouisP

Hi All,

I am a total beginner in nano-reef, However, I've been aquascaping high tech planted tanks for a few years now.  I thought i dip my toes into marine,  I got a small EVO 13.5 for my desk.  My vision would a couple clowns then slowly learn about corals and start adding them when the tank is ready.  I think the coolest thing would be to get a clown to host and anemone. I got a nice box of purple rock from a local place and have been playing around with some hard-scapes.  As I haven't studied corals yet, I have no idea what factors to consider for them with a scape, but open to feedback and suggestions.  Here is my first stab at the hardscape.  I'll flatten the bottoms and glue it all together as I finalize. 

Thank you so much in advance.

IMG_1649.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to the reef side! I think that is a pretty slick hardscape, especially for a first time reefer. I might recommend having some smaller rocks sloping off the taller "pillars" of this, just to give you some additional rockwork to attach coral to. You will still be able to grow plenty on this scape, but I feel like it might be a little more difficult to work with the purely vertical portions.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, LouisP said:

here is how its evolving...

IMG_1860 (1).jpeg

might be a little tight along the walls depending on what kind of scraper you plan on using....but i really like the centerpiece with the post and the top 'bridge'.

• 2 weeks later...

Voilà!!!  the final result... My first reef hardscape.  A little different after I started to glue and build some good spots for corals, but I am really proud of it.  It's a solid and heavy two pieces, with 2" min clearance on all sides.  I used a combination of super glue and and purple Seachem coral-crete.   I think it makes this little 13.5 gallon look pretty big.

I populated with two clowns (yet to be named), 3 blue legged crabs, some zoas and a Green Toadstool Leather who is still angry from the move.  Im doing a Dr Tims fish in cycle.

Thanks for you comments and inspiration during its creation.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on more corals for it.  There is a Prime 16HD light on it.

755588616_IMG_2014(2).thumb.jpeg.513162b60d4fc2a70a472e736b6607f5.jpeg

• Like 2