Cultivated Reef

Loosely's 32G AIO + Display Fuge

Looselyhuman

Thought nem was looking pretty this morning:20220930_104104.thumb.jpg.35318ac8f5bc37e13f7e36f461b0d95d.jpg

I also cleaned out my chaeto fuge / drain / heater chamber and thought I'd share. I'm pulling out a tennis ball a week. It's really amazing that it has anything to eat with all the macros in the main tanks.

After harvest (note the gross looking stuff on the edge - I harvested most of that too):20220930_110122.thumb.jpg.30928e7bb570095139ef9ed767f23972.jpg20220930_110133.thumb.jpg.8122f66e315e54df6eddbd3e001faa54.jpg

What I pulled out. You can see I'm growing some dictyota in there too:20220930_110247.thumb.jpg.fbb19214bbd320f870da936332fd00de.jpg

Here's the gross stuff. Not so gross. Parts cotton candy, green turf, and dictyota:20220930_111309.thumb.jpg.5b3bf40052b5cc1dc627b52b6e52eec3.jpg

• Like 3
Looselyhuman
15 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Good to see the wrasse braving the open water some!

He's definitely getting there. Spends a lot of time getting up close and personal with the bickering clowns, and flairs at the picasso when he does the spasm dance. They absolutely and completely ignore him lol.

• Like 1
Looselyhuman

So, I'd love some input on these clowns. They've mellowed a lot but it's definitely not a traditional relationship. The smaller Onyx continues to be dominant, and the bigger Picasso does the shake dance occasionally, but mostly they just wrestle. This all started when the submissive Onyx found the nem first and decided not to be submissive anymore. So confused.. Can a smaller clown become female??

Vid shows typical behavior with some shaking at around 0:20

I love the flow you’ve got going with the nem. Looks great. 
Nice gobies! You might see them more than that. Once they’ve got a nice hole dug together, they can be more visible. 

• Like 1
Looselyhuman
39 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

I love the flow you’ve got going with the nem. Looks great.

Thanks! Flow is still a work in progress but I guess it's ok for the moment. 👍 

38 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Nice gobies! You might see them more than that. Once they’ve got a nice hole dug together, they can be more visible. 

Yeah hopefully.. The question is where they dig. Which also kind of depends on where that shrimp goes.  I really hoped the shrimp would dig in where I let him out. He started to, but then took off under the big rock... 😞

Eh, I managed my expectations. Cool dynamics like this are easier to manage in a true nano I think.

• Like 1
Looselyhuman
57 minutes ago, dobermom said:

Indeed, they are. I had green hairy mushrooms (sounds disgusting!) that would let go and move now and then. Always enjoyed target feeding them. 

Yeah those are neat. I might have to find some

Looselyhuman

Someday I'll dig and get an ID on these caribbean brain corals. Intentionally trading in these is illegal, so expertise is hard to find. This is the brighter one. The other is more subtle and doesn't photograph as well under the blue/purple dawn/dusk bulbs.

20221006_095731.jpg

Looselyhuman
53 minutes ago, dobermom said:

I think those are called "rose coral." You have a really nice one! They are a type of brain coral.

Nice! Thanks! I looked at some pics of wild ones and I thought "pretty close." Then I found this on r2r and that's definitely it. Manicina areolata. I'm attaching a pic of the more subtly colored one, now that the lights are on.

20221006_124227.jpg

First time I've seen them together (actually didn't see them at all for a week). I'll get some better pics, with clean glass, when they're a little more comfortable. The shrimp is in with them of course.

20221013_150153.jpg