inTank Media Baskets

5.5g experiment

Jaren45

Once again I found myself with enough spare equipment to start up another nano. 

Going to take another crack at a bare bottom tank, as well as using a canister for the first time. 

Tank: Tideline 5.5g

Light: Smatfarm g5 90w Amazon special

Filter: Sicce whale stuffed full of matrix and nothing else

Heater: Newa 25w

PXL_20220721_170129727.thumb.jpg.205f8bb2d0778ad21258cea888bd68d3.jpg

Just turboed yesterday, 7/20

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, lilopop11 said:

Nice rockwork .. this will be sps or lps tank ??

Planning on a bit of everything because I can't help myself. I've been getting more into softies lately so probably lots of gorgonians and rarer leathers if I can find em.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Amnemonemomne said:

what livestock do you want in the tank?

Thinking about a dozen sexy shrimp and maybe a trimma goby or something itty bitty 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Worked a booth at aquashella dallas today and of course picked up some goodies for all my tanks, for the 5g I got some true blue cespitularia, not open quite yet but i've been looking for this one for a while

PXL_20220808_032001182.thumb.jpg.81309dc209fa8be6f7e2b0f72bf57bc4.jpg

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
9 hours ago, Jaren45 said:

Worked a booth at aquashella dallas today and of course picked up some goodies for all my tanks, for the 5g I got some true blue cespitularia, not open quite yet but i've been looking for this one for a while

PXL_20220808_032001182.thumb.jpg.81309dc209fa8be6f7e2b0f72bf57bc4.jpg

Just wanted to drop by and say your scape is absolutely beautiful and unique! :happy:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Just wanted to drop by and say your scape is absolutely beautiful and unique! :happy:

Thank you! All my saltwater tanks have a similar scape at this point, just using zipties to hold the branch together, cement, then cut the ties off the next morning. Super easy with good results

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Cespitularia finally settled in and is looking good

Also I couldn't stand the bare bottom for more than about a week.. it might be better once coralline sets in but I can't bother to scrape the nasty bottom every few days haha

PXL_20220818_205733713.thumb.jpg.c6910cec6a2aa5e13ebab933d6330cad.jpgPXL_20220818_205729555.thumb.jpg.8efb90e6378feb38dbdc6d084a6c36f0.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Amnemonemomne said:

are gorgonians easy to keep? thinking about adding some into my tank in the near future.

The photosynthetic ones absolutely, they like high high flow and good lighting, but my old grubes I was trimming every month or so to keep it from getting out of hand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Kalkwasser is a go! Tested for 4 days in a row and calculated a .3dkh or more drop a day. 35ml spaced out every 2 hours 24h a day is keeping me right at 8.2/8.3 dkh. woohoo!

• Like 1

Side question, can anyone recommend another decent cheap light fixture? The current one makes my rock show up orange in person and has a pretty awful purple hue no matter how much I fiddle. I like a nice crisp white. Maybe a 2 bulb t5?

3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Do they still make T-5's that small?

No it'd have to be 24in unfortunately but I don't mind the light spill, this stand is well below eye level even when sitting down

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Jaren45 said:

No it'd have to be 24in unfortunately but I don't mind the light spill, this stand is well below eye level even when sitting down

In that case go for the 2 bulb fixture! Blue + mixed with a white bulb (coral + or maybe an aquablue) would be great! 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

PXL_20221005_031739141.thumb.jpg.e0a71b06fc05f24b27b21f299fe16766.jpg

It's still alive! Alk is holding rock steady at 8.2 and starting to get more coralline growth all over. Nitrate and phosphate is testing 0 with salifert though despite constant coral food feeding. I think I need a small fish!

• Like 1