inTank Media Baskets

Zoo problem

Hi all-got a new zoo 4 days ago-first 2 days it was fine, yesterday it didn't open so I moved it up closer to the light/flow. It looks like some of the tubes are turning a fuzzy milky white. Its only partially open today. Wondering if anyone has any ideas whats wrong. Its in a stock nano.

move those zoas back down low and let them recover from the light, dont worry about them for awhile, i think you may have jump the gun when you moved them after only one day

i agree, ime it sounds like a fungus. cloudy rather than fuzzy.

it seemed to me like a vicious cycle of irritated polyps -> produce slime -> slime fed fungus -> irritated polyps more/smothered polyps.

siphon what you can out and place in a medium flow. hth

From what I've read, I should try and remove the affected patch-I was thinking some tweezers-also said to look for discoloration at the base. This is my first zoo-the bottom is green-that normal?

Be carefull messing with zoos they have a poisonis fluid in them when you cut them if you do cut them make sure you wear gloves the fluid is a gray black color. Just be careful.

Thanks for the warning-so far it sounds like it would be best to remove the stuff. I might let it sit for a day or two and see if it gets worse-I don't want to mess it up unless I really need to

i haven't read anything good where there's been signs of fungas on the zoa polyps. my recommendation is remove the infected polyps and place colony in a med flow area so that there is movement. i don't think that dips have worked in the past. do a real good search. i think this came up last month.

Just got home and the colony is open for the most part-it looks like a couple of the tubes have dies where the mucus is. Question is isit better to try and remove them or see what happens. The rest of them look fairly happy now

Reef-r-madness5150

You raise zoo's like a welschman-there I said it, a welschman. You should take the zoos out and sleep with them under your pillow to show them you care.

You raise zoo's like a welschman-there I said it, a welschman. You should take the zoos out and sleep with them under your pillow to show them you care.
I find your accusations baseless and without merit. Its almost like you had a poor English teacher in high school

lol. freakin HI-larious

Reef-r-madness5150

There's an excellent read by Joseph Conrad on this topic-perhaps you should try it. It's called "The Nano-reef of Darkness"-it may enlighten you to the perils of reefs

There is a post right now on reefcentral by muchoreef. He's got a recipe for zoo's with fungus. I would suggest the next time you move them or check on them bring them to the surface and take a whiff...if they smell like rotten underwear toss 'em.

Reef-r-madness5150

Come to think of it, Conrad is far too advanced reading for someone at your level-you couldn't handle my advanced class to I'll move you to my remedial one you popinjay!

I bet you eat donuts all day and sit around thinking about banking. I'll have you know that this board has been invaluable, and my tank is doing well. Much better than yours I'm sure. Knowing is half the battle

Originally posted by ODOG

...if they smell like rotten underwear toss 'em.

and just how do you kno...nevermind, i don't think i really want to know.

the extra flow, siphoning, and some increased lugol's iodine is what i usually do in response to possible infections. ime it's not a penicillin shot-fix but rather stops of the spread and lets the coral naturally conquer the 'infection'.

btw the increased lugol's isn't anything dramatic. more like dosing the regular week's dosage a day or two earlier or increasing the weekly dosage 50%~75%. i.e. not and OD nor a dip solution, altho some people do that (i don't like that method, too traumatic imo, for the coral/invert and for me :o ).

Archived