SaltCritters.com

Dedicating my build to my late Father - DIY shallow tank build

Theshallows

Theshallows

I've been really wanting to get into Saltwater aquariums for a long time now but have had a lot of things that prevented me from doing that. I Lost my dad to cancer who was my best friend in 2020 and it really broke me - He and I did everything together and this is really the first time I'v talked about it other then to my direct family. I feel like I'm ready to start my build and kinda want to dedicate this build to him. I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing and decided to start a youtube channel for the tank itself. I don't have any of the supplies yet other then the tank and I built a stand that I'll detail later. I been lurking and just joined and this is my first post!

That's really it as I've been putting this off for the last 6 months and honestly getting choked up just writing this all - thanks for any reading of this and this post kinda helps me keep going and to help post things and work toward a goal - slow as it may be

Plans thus far:

The plan is for a 35" x 19" x 13" 

kessil lighting

canister filer

macroalga / mantis tank

rodi 

image.thumb.jpeg.af1ee4d456c473077fc168e9b6e6d631.jpeg

• Like 6

This is a great way to memorialize someone, and I actually have a similar experience with my reefkeeping. I lost my brother to cancer 16 years ago, and I try to go out every year on the anniversary of his passing to pick out a piece of coral to add to the tank. I then try to create a frag of it on either his next birthday or the birthday after, and give it to someone local to spread and propagate. It has been quite cathartic, and has made me felt much more connected to both him and my tanks.

Definitely following along with this one so far! Do you already have a canister filter? I will have one with some glass lily pipes and an inline heater available soon after my tank transitions to its next phase.

• Like 3
Theshallows
42 minutes ago, schg said:

This is a great way to memorialize someone, and I actually have a similar experience with my reefkeeping. I lost my brother to cancer 16 years ago, and I try to go out every year on the anniversary of his passing to pick out a piece of coral to add to the tank. I then try to create a frag of it on either his next birthday or the birthday after, and give it to someone local to spread and propagate. It has been quite cathartic, and has made me felt much more connected to both him and my tanks.

Definitely following along with this one so far! Do you already have a canister filter? I will have one with some glass lily pipes and an inline heater available soon after my tank transitions to its next phase.

Thanks, I actual plan to use this as it has a heater and easy prefilter built in https://store.oase-usa.com/products/oase-biomaster-thermo-350

Also going to use a surface skimming lilly pipes of some sort

Theshallows
18 hours ago, schg said:

Oh man, that is a pretty awesome filter! Seems like it will set you up well on almost everything off the bat.

Yeah seems pretty good - I'm trying to have as little equipment as I can - this solves a ton for me anyway

Theshallows

Made the tank this weekend - will need some silicone clean up as it got on my gloves then kinda just got everywhere 🙂 -  also a couple of the stand I built. The stand is not done yet as its in need some paint and a bottom skirt but everything is starting to come together.

0717221929.jpg

0717221929_HDR.jpg

0717221929b.jpg

0717221930.jpg

0717221930a_HDR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Theshallows

Well - sorry for lack of updates , but I ordered my filter and the tank is now done and in place. As soon as I finished I got covid for the first time and was feeling blah for 2 weeks. I'll try and take some pictures in the next day or so and get some updates and maybe another vid. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...