Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

saltwater noobie........advice appreciated

jdav

I don't really know the terminology all that well, but I am going to try and make this as clear as possible.

My reef is a 20H. It has a ton of live rock in it.... maybe 60lbs.

The lighting I have right now is a PC hood with 2 bulbs a 65w daylight and a 65w actinic. I also have a 15w actinic florescent on the front of the tank.

I have had my tank setup for about a month now and It has been cycled for about 3 weeks (5 damsels 60lbs of lr and 25lbs of live sand can apparently cycle a 20H in 6 days).

I have started putting some corals in. Nothing to hard to keep. I've got some green star polyps, some yellow star polyps, a shroom, some xenia, green and purple zoos, orange and green zoos, neon green candy, 2 jaw fish, about 20 blue leg hermits. The only thing that I think I should have waited until later to get is my rose anemone that is hosting a maroon and gold clown, but it's doing really well so I will say it's a blessing.

All my water parameters are where they should be and get checked every other day. I have been doing 10% weekly water changes. I've got a millennium 3000 that keeps the water clean and give my tank good current. So far, everything is going good and hopefully it will stay that way.

a couple of questions:

Should I get a protein skimmer?

Would you recommend I get more light?

Any other suggestions(besides chill out on putting stuff in the tank, I'm pretty sure I need to hold off for a bit)?

thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!

What are you running in the Millenium? Throw some chemipure in there as well to fight off chemical warfare among your coral.

Protein Skimmer would help a lot. You have a high bioload (I do too, so I'm not sweatin ya)...and a skimmer would be well worth the investment.

AquaC Remora w/ maxijet 1200 all the way! IMO. haha.

I don't know much about anemones...so can't be much help there.

You might experience lighting issues with the anemone, not forsure, but something to look out for if you notice changes in the way your anemone looks or behaves. Just a heads up.

thanks! I'll look out for that......

speaking of lighting, should I get another PC (the same as the one I have) to replace the florescent I have now or should I just wait and see what happens?

Archived