Pod Your Reef

Weird Alage

Toomanymatts

Toomanymatts

What so you suppose these two weird patches are?  There is a third and they grow in that weird pattern.  

Also, say hi to Pete in the bottom right. 

20220705_224733.jpg

Toomanymatts

Interesting.  I didn't think of that.  I have 3 Astraea snails, 2 nassarius snails and a trochus snail. Let me dive down that rabbit hole.  More snails would be cool.

In marine tanks, the eggs of most species of snails are consumed or otherwise don't survive.  While baby snails aren't unheard of, generally you won't see any.

Toomanymatts
41 minutes ago, seabass said:

In marine tanks, the eggs of most species of snails are consumed or otherwise don't survive.  While baby snails aren't unheard of, generally you won't see any.

Oh man.  Well.  Currently only cuc in there.  About 2 more weeks of quarintine until the fish go in. 

• Like 1
Toomanymatts
1 hour ago, Tired said:

Weird! Have the patches grown from smaller patches, or did they just show up overnight? If they grew, it's probably not eggs.

They are kinda tucked behind rocks.  I can't see it from the front.  I noticed it looking for the shrimp...

It does look like snail eggs, but at the same time, I feel like there would be a lot more "what is this" threads featuring this stuff if it was the result of a commonly kept species of snail. Maybe it's something sponge-related? Keep an eye on it, see if it grows. I'm sure it's harmless, whatever it is, but it's interesting. 

• Like 2
Toomanymatts

It is staying about the same size.   I have so many amphipods in there due to no fish that they tend to take care of any algae that pops up, but they don't touch this stuff...