Top Shelf Aquatics

my 10g nano

Amnemonemomne

Amnemonemomne

Ok update time! I got some trochus snails as my first members for a cuc. Because of the sale on corals at top shelf, I got some new corals! I got a hale berry zoa, a galactic yuma mushroom, and a reddish yuma mushroom that fell off its frag. The diatoms definitely lowered even before adding the snails and GSP is thriving right now (I'm already seeing new growth on it 😁 ). zoas and mushrooms already in the tank look like their doing good too. Planning on starting a mushroom garden where galactic and other mushroom are at.

20220727_195017.jpg

• Like 1
Amnemonemomne

sooo it turns out one of the trochus snails died while shipping so I'm kinda annoyed with buying online but oh well. At least I have 4 more snails.

Amnemonemomne

Quick little update, I come home to see two snails that haven't moved out and so I had to take them out. I look in the back of my tank and see a snail upside down and I have no idea how long its been flipped so thats kind of frustrating. Anyone else have this experience with this happening to them? Any advice on what to do next?

Smell the snails before chucking them. If they smell like an aquarium, maybe a little bit like low tide, they're alive. If they smell like the concentrated essence of low tide after a hurricane, they're dead. 

Some species of snail can get stuck on their backs. They're especially prone to falling off the glass if they aren't getting enough to eat, so make sure you have plenty of algae for them. 

• Agree 1
Amnemonemomne

oh i smelled them and they had the second type of smell and definitely didn't smell like an aquarium, I also noticed white stuff coming out and lifting some of the shells, the leftover body of the snail came out so i had to suck it all up with a turkey baster. besides, the snails that were presumed dead weren't moving for like 2 days straight.

Yeah, those are dead snails. Dead molluscs dissolve pretty rapidly. 

There might not be enough algae for them to eat, but check your water parameters anyway. 

I've had varied success with snails both in person and online, sometimes you just have bad luck with them. Although most snails are pretty hardy, do pay attention to acclimation and diet and you should hopefully have more success in the future.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Amnemonemomne

went on vaca for 10 days, when I came back the tank looked good. gsp growing, mushrooms look happy, zoas look bigger now, and my clove polyp turned in 4 polyps! Will send photos soon. Algae came back, this time it's green hair algae and maybe dinos? not sure. in the corner of my tank there's this orangish looking patch and was wondering if anyone knew what it was. I'll send all of the photos later.

If you have plenty of nutrients for hair algae and such, that's more likely to be cyano than dinos. Algae blooms are pretty much inevitable in new tanks. Make sure your cleanup crew is up to date, and try stirring a tiny portion of your sand with every water change. Maintain at least 0.03ppm phosphates and 5-10ppm nitrates, and everything should sort itself out eventually. 

• Thanks 1
Amnemonemomne

trochus snails are doing good, cleaning the main rock and the glass. corals are growing great, duncan looks happy. I fed it 2 or 3 pieces or mysis so that hopefully the coral grows faster. I have a wavemaker but i don''t know where to put it. Any advice?

2 hours ago, Amnemonemomne said:

trochus snails are doing good, cleaning the main rock and the glass. corals are growing great, duncan looks happy. I fed it 2 or 3 pieces or mysis so that hopefully the coral grows faster. I have a wavemaker but i don''t know where to put it. Any advice?

I would put it on the back right wall, pointing up and over your rockscape

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

wow it's been awhile since i updated this tank. I'm still going through the biome cycle (won't be adding livestock until i'm done with the ugly stage) and I'm fighting a minor bubble algae issue. I added a emerald crab (Gerald) and it turns out Gerald is a mother! She had babies yesterday but I think the larvae are sadly all dead because i was not aware the crab was female. All the corals look very healthy tho which is good, my duncan looks very happy now. My mushrooms look very happy, same as the zoas, one of my yumas are stretching towards the light, should i move it up? how far should I move it up?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Amnemonemomne

little update, Duncan is looking healthy, my fish are nice and happy as I'm feeding Mysis every other day to limit food going into tank. I got a green zoa colony and moved it to the rock holding up the centerpiece rock, gsp isn't looking the best still alive (clove polyps too). my LFS will be having a big sale on Fri b/c of black friday so we might be seeing more things inside the tank. the photo has my sharknose goby and Gerald picking off food off the rock

20221123_122815.jpg

might need to do some maintenance based off the photo 😅

• 2 weeks later...
Amnemonemomne

Forgot to add but I bought a warpaint goby a few months ago but it only lived for a few days and it ended up on the carpet so I'm just going to stick with my tiger goby and sharknose goby. I'm assuming the warpaint Goby died because it was wild caught and it wasnt ready to live in a small aquarium

• 2 weeks later...

Aw, look at the lil guy!

I see you got the Radioactive Dragon Eyes/Eagle Eyes zoa combo that a lot of people tend to get. I gotta get me some of those, there's a reason they're in so many tanks.

Blueberry Fields, maybe? You should probably get another opinion on that. 

Oh, and you might want to make a frag of each of those. Zoa gardens tend to wind up with one strain outcompeting the others, particularly with fast-growing ones involved.