Top Shelf Aquatics

my 10g nano

Amnemonemomne

Amnemonemomne

Ok so I've been seeing people do these journals so now its my turn. Currently have a 10g nano that has been cycling for 2 months now (taking it slow and carefully) with a radion xr15 as the light. I'm finally gonna break the chain of nothing inside the tank for 64 days and get my first coral tomorrow (planning on getting some gsp b/c of how hardy they are). I have a wavemaker but I'm only adding it until coral is added since I was only cycling the tank. 

taken may 1st 2022

20220502_113337.jpg

• Like 1
M. Tournesol
2 hours ago, Amnemonemomne said:

oh no some of the images are flipped sorry if they're flipped for you guys too

Yes, some are flipped.If i remember correctly, it's a problem with iPhone photo format conversion...

schgr.cube

Looking good so far, and good call on taking your time adding anything. I would try to push that right hand rock over a little bit away from the glass, as it will be easier to clean, especially once things start growing in.

• Thanks 1
Amnemonemomne
1 hour ago, schg said:

Looking good so far, and good call on taking your time adding anything. I would try to push that right hand rock over a little bit away from the glass, as it will be easier to clean, especially once things start growing in.

ok cool thanks for the tip

Amnemonemomne

btw is bubble algae a algae i should be concerned about? I've seen tanks have it and I just spotted a bubble on my rock when placing on the gsp.

Some tanks have bubble algae with no problems, but it can be invasive, particularly with no competition. Removing it is probably a good idea. No need to worry about popping it- if that was a concern, emerald crabs wouldn't be effective control. 

That rock looks pretty damn white for 2 months old. Make sure you have nutrients, or the coral will starve. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Amnemonemomne

ok so it's been a week since I've put my GSP into the tank and by now I have a few other corals. I added a paly frag, a zoa frag, a clove polyp frag, and 2 mushrooms. Everything looks healthy and happy. 😁 I can't wait to see these corals grow!

20220712_121912.jpg

• Like 2

Unless you like to have algae and detritus on everything, yes, you need a cleanup crew. Nature can't do its thing with no cleanup crew. 

• Thanks 1
Amnemonemomne

ok so 2 weeks since i started adding corals in and there isn't much to update this journal. Other than me going through a diatom outbreak, I don't have much else to share. I moved my orange mushroom a little high in the back but it didn't seem it liked it since it shriveled up more so i just moved it down from where it was. Hopefully that works.

Amnemonemomne

oh yea and everything looks good but i have to use a turkey baster to blow off some algae that go onto the GSP and my clove polyp

Shrimp aren't cleanup crew, they're decorative.

You should get some small algae-eating snails. Check if temperatures in your area are decent for shipping, and maybe order from ReefCleaners; they have some cool stuff. I like lightning dove snails, which are pretty and will slowly reproduce in your tank. Ceriths are a good all-purpose snail as well. Nerites are good for the glass. Don't bother with nassarius, they only eat leftover food and other animals will happily do that.

If you like hermits, you could add one or two, but they may go after your snails for shells. Scarlet reef hermits are least likely to bother other animals, out of the available hermit species, but they prefer heavier shells and can be a bit tricky to find new houses for. Hermits eat leftover food and some algae. 

Post a pic of your tank, let's see the algae level. You might have enough to get the bulk of your cleanup crew now. 

• Like 1

That is an extremely blue tank. For future reference, white light is better for looking at algae and such. 

You do seem to have a decent bit of algae. Now is probably a good time to get some ceriths, and maybe a few dove snails.