Questions about sump and plumbing

RookieRock

RookieRock

I made a mistake, sorry. The 1'' pipe has a flow rate of 1799 l/h. The turnover depends on the return pump and the powerheads obviously. My previous calculation was to find out the flow rate of 1 and 2 sizes up from the return pipe; and how low the opening of the pipe should be, below the water surface. Now I understand why the overflow boxes are tall. 

Anyway, about the turnover, I redesigned the plumbing and the total length of the return pipe is 90 cm or 3ft. I'm going to use two 45° elbows. So that's another foot. I guess I should add 1 foot for the 90° elbow before the nozzle. That's 5ft (or 1.5m) of head pressure in total.

The DCA 2000 has a flow rate of about 400l/h at 5ft. That's... meh.

On the other hand, an Aqua Medic DC Runner 2.3 has a flow rate of about 700-800l/h at 5ft. That's a decent turnover of about 10x. Sounds good?

Leistungsdiagramm_DC-Runner-x.3_1600px.png.78d5da5b45859757a973519a76f12e96.png

So, the return pipe will have the same diameter with the output of the return pump. It's 20mm for the DC Runner. That's 1/2'' for the return pipe then.

The drain pipes will be 1'', just to make sure that it can handle a higher flow. I'm going to use one pump for now though. The DT is only 70l. Don't want to turn it into a washing machine.

Reefkid88

With 45's you do not have to add anything,just 90's. Unless you want to be safe and add 6" but its not needed. 

You would be safe with ¾" drain and ¾" or 1" return,I had once found a chart that showed how much pressure each sized PVC can handle,both pressurized and gravity. Let me see if I can dig it up and I will post it. 

Basically if you use 45's,it will create less head pressure therefore not requiring you to have to get a bigger pump to combat the pressure it takes to push the water thru a 90 vs pushing thru a 45. 

• Like 1
RookieRock

The return pipe is going through a hole in the cabinet, so I'd have to use two 90° elbows. Instead, I can use two 45° and have the same results.

IMG_5535.thumb.jpg.4b6407891c62f2c7693958eff109e070.jpg

Reefkid88

Correct,and less restrictive flow. Thus eliminating some head pressure. 

• Like 1