Top Shelf Aquatics

Damaged Duncan while cleaning

aclman88

Title  says it all. scraping stubborn algae on glass with a scraper and heard a nice crunch. Realized I got part of my Duncan; tore some of the flesh off of a head and scraped the skeleton. Should I bother dipping it with iodine proactively or just monitor and dip if it looks like it might be getting infected?

7478D375-8ED0-4C58-9AC0-E3B5BD263315.thumb.jpeg.74b3e267cf71c372c1ffce19f90962a5.jpeg9BBEDC8A-57EF-4619-A15F-FA80E1CBA070.thumb.jpeg.f943d5d7ba42fd4e566c5758b31bbbde.jpeg
0CBFCE94-A361-4E1D-A6F7-E1374C885EFE.thumb.jpeg.073536034229765abae683aec21b8aff.jpeg

Should be fine. LPS are pretty damage-tolerant. I actually have a mini blasto that resulted from accidentally chipping a big chunk of skeleton off a blasto frag. A piece of flesh was left on the skeleton, and is now a baby polyp. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I’ll wait and observe. Polyps are already back out. I actually remember now that when I removed it from the frag plug way back it was already encrusted and when I popped it off the bottom was all mucus and raw skeleton. That was when it was just a few polyps.  

If you do dip it with iodine later, be careful with the concentration. I killed a stressed Japanese acan lord once by dipping it in an iodine dip that was too strong. Zoas tolerate WAY more iodine in their dips than LPS do.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Tired said:

If you do dip it with iodine later, be careful with the concentration. I killed a stressed Japanese acan lord once by dipping it in an iodine dip that was too strong. Zoas tolerate WAY more iodine in their dips than LPS do.

Thanks that’s good to know!

• Like 1