Pod Your Reef

Biorb tube 35 filter mod/ nano reef

RobASF

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has modded the filter to use Chemipure blue instead of the charcoal provided?

Plan to use live sand/live rock with foam cuff around filter disc to protect from sucking up sand and allow the tank to cycle as usual.

Then once cycled, switch out the filter media and use Chemipure blue or similar chemical filtration along with weekly  10 percent water changes.

I also will use a Hygger wave maker.

Thoughts?

It's a lovely 360 tank that I plan to stock with 10 lbs of live rock, live sand and perhaps a small Ocellaris clown, a Yellow clown Goby and red banded shrimp

Ditch the filter altogether or try it?

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

8 hours ago, RobASF said:

It's a lovely 360 tank

Is this a 6 gallon Koller 360 View or something else?

Was wondering if anyone has modded the filter to use Chemipure blue instead of the charcoal provided?

Is the compartment too small for a Chemi-Pure Blue Nano bag?  If there is room, then feel free to swap one chemical media for another.  But usually, activated carbon is fine.

along with weekly 10 percent water changes

That is a common recommendation.  I would suggest just replacing the water lost during weekly maintenance (siphoning out detritus), and not necessarily just changing water.  However, water changes can also be used to export excess nutrient levels.

Will this be a coral reef tank, or a fish only with live rock (FOWLR) tank?

Ditch the under gravel filter altogether or try it?

So does it have a power filter and under gravel filter?  Generally, sand won't work with an under gavel filter.  There are larger grained substrates (like crushed coral) which might work.  It's unusual for our reef tanks to run under gravel filters, but that's not saying that it's not possible.

Thanks for the welcome, Seabass!

It is a 9.2 gallon cylindrical aquarium, similar to the Koller, but larger, approximately 16" wide  x 14" tall. It has a central sponge filter with a compartment under the sponge for chemical filtration and an airstone: Chemi-Pure Blue comes in small or "nano" sized packets, able to treat 5 gallons of water each...would exchange out the carbon+ material that's in there and use that instead once the tank has cycled through. Plan so far for a Fish only tank with Live Rock (FOWLR). The live sand I will  use is the larger particle Carib Sea "Natural Reef" which has an average 3.0-5.5 mm particle size, vs. a fine sand. To keep this from being sucked into the central filter I was going to do a mod of mod and just put a ring of foam around the filter intake to prevent sand from getting in the chamber that houses the chemical filtration/sponge. I will also have a Hygger Wave Maker for the live rock.

image.jpeg.c7b7f2e38f7c3e77b1e086107b3512ff.jpeg

image.png.74966926b8b7c1f9da13bd9b771caf45.png

So it looks like it comes with the rocky substrate.  IDK, I'm not really sure how suitable it is; but it might work.  I'd be tempted to leave the filtration as is and replace the rocky substrate with some large grained crushed coral (maybe like: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/florida-crushed-coral-dry-sand-caribsea.html).

The bubbles will cause salt creep.  It's a bit of a maintenance issue, but it's an appealing effect.  Otherwise, you could go filterless and use any substrate you wish,

• Like 1

Thanks Seabass.

Yes, that's the setup.

The Carib Sea Natural Reef is basically the same particle size as the Crushed Coral, except it's live sand and not dry.

I think I'll give it a try with a half filled tank and check if the filter gets silt or particles from the live sand inside the container.