inTank Media Baskets

Strawberry top snail

Palmer

I have a strawberry top snail in my Fluval 13.5G. I purchased it recently but I am wondering if anyone has ever kept them in their nano tanks if there is anough algae to keep them going as I read they are recommended fir larger tanks.

thanks!

Palmer

I think they a type of trochidae snail isnt it. Those are quite common in this hobby should have same care requirements although I think this variety grows larger than the standard trochus. That's probly why its recomended for larger tanks could turn into a bulldozer in a small tank and needs more to eat. From.what I understand these get up to 3 inches across if I've got the right snail here. I  see 2 listed under that name any pics?

1 hour ago, LazyFish said:

I think they a type of trochidae snail isnt it. Those are quite common in this hobby should have same care requirements although I think this variety grows larger than the standard trochus. That's probly why its recomended for larger tanks could turn into a bulldozer in a small tank and needs more to eat. From.what I understand these get up to 3 inches across if I've got the right snail here. I  see 2 listed under that name any pics?

Yes its a trochus and I have had lots of the garden variety butbthese remind me more of really large astrea. Yeah bulldozing is a potential concern but honestly as I have never had one of these I am more just wondering ifvthere is enough grazable area in a 13.5 gallon tank. I got this pic online but it looks just like this. The actual snail is on my office tank (yes having an office tank is amazing!) at work and I just bought it today.

3D8C2F2C-6F4C-436D-AEF1-FBAF266ACF3F.jpeg