inTank Media Baskets

Dino Identification

aclman88

Just curious if someone could confirm if this is Dinos (pretty sure it is) and if so what kind and next steps. I can follow up with parameters and more info tomorrow, but wanted to get the ball rolling. 

FB5CCD14-6C16-4014-AB21-68FE36D8E6E3.thumb.jpeg.0ad8a8b256e0940e39e0b0b7360e6d0e.jpeg

A0CEBB2C-50B2-49C6-923A-D8C637F5669C.jpeg

Yeah, looks like Ostreopsis dinoflagellates.  I assume that it's on your sand bed.  Can you post a pic of it in full bloom?

My first thoughts are to entirely remove the sand bed.  Then dose up nutrients to at least 0.1ppm phosphate and 10ppm nitrate.

• Agree 1

Interestingly enough it grows on usually just the soft corals. Also from last testing my nitrates were at five in my face is always ran high  upwards of .4

Also I run this tank bare bottom, so no sand bed to speak of

If they move like they are tied down then Ostreopsis is what I was going to say too.

They are susceptible to UV as they go into the water at night. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

How do you mean move like they are tied down?

They have some free movement but I guess more like a balloon on a string. 

would a 5 watt or 9 watt uv sterilizer be best? Looking at these two:

COOSPIDER Sun JUP-01 Aquariums in Tank Submersible Machine 211gph 9 Watt fit for 40-80Gallon (JUP 01 Set + 2X Replace Filter + 1x Spare Bulb) https://a.co/d/aCMSHs5

COODIA Internal Green Water Killer Filter Aquarium Tank U-V Pump https://a.co/d/4smHPsx

I know the green killing machine is recommended, but I don’t like that the replacement bulbs are hard to find and cost like $30. 

paging @mcarroll @jservedio and @DevilDuck since I know y’all have some experience and/or knowledge about Dinos.