SaltCritters.com

Made big mistake help

Crys

I dipped my coral in revive but I left it attached to the live rock. So the whole thing got dipped. The next morning my water is cloudy and my fish are sick, my shrimp died and my snails are not doing well. Did some of the coral give off toxins or did the revive stay in the rock after I rinsed it? I have done a 50% water change an added fresh charcoal. What else should I do? 

Did you test your water at all? 
your live-rock bacterias might have reacted to the dip, probably causing the death of a few things that spiked your ammonia level?🤔
Removing the contaminated live rock would be a good thing to do (IMO) - it surely has lot of CR in it.

What was the coral?

First, I'd test the water, second If possible I would quarantine any lifeform onto another system. (ideally).
otherwise, I'd say the WC is one of the best option here.

Finger crossed.

Do a large water change and add activated carbon. Idk how big the rock is it is attached to but might be best to remove the coral from the rock and toss the rock out. 

Rock is porous and difficult to rinse coral dips off of. 

• Like 2

If not tossing the rock out, I believe that you could do successive dips in saltwater (swirling it around in the bucket of saltwater to help rinse it out).

If possible, I'd change out all of the water, because it probably contains a notable amount of coral dip.  Coral dips are designed to affect (or even kill) unwanted inverts.  So long term exposure is not good for anything in your tank.

As Tamberav stated, activated carbon can help remove meds and/or toxins.  That's definitely worth a try.

• Like 2

This is exactly why I always AT LEAST 2-3 containers and 2 pipettes,whenever I dip. One with the dip solution amd another with tank water to rinse the coral off before placing it back in the tank.

Acclimate,dip,rinse. I have also had success with acclimate/dip in the same container,rinse place in tank. 

Do a nice sized water change,change and or afd more carbon than you normally run and go from there. 

• Agree 1

Thanks for all your advice. Water parameters are ok. I’ve added more carbon and did another 25 % change. I also added some prime. I’ll get some new bacteria from the LFS in a couple of days. The corals were zoas, toadstool and mushrooms. I don’t know what I was thinking when I did that. I guess I just wasn’t thinking. So far nothing else has died but my springer doesn’t look too good.