Cultivated Reef

DIY ATO relay wiring problem

Kevin Buckley

Kevin Buckley

Can anyone help with a diy ato that I am trying to setup? I have been following the many guides on YouTube to make a auto top off as I am going away for 4 weeks. I have wired the real exactly correctly as described and checked the relay is working with the 12v circuit connected and the 240v circuit off. This works perfectly. I can see and hear the relay switching as I  move the float switch up and down. So far so good.

It is only when I turn on the 240v circuit that the relay switch stops working and the pump that is plugged into the extention lead receives no power. Everything is dead. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

434BB034-7306-4FA7-9D43-AA99C25E499E.jpeg

6047802B-07AC-4259-BD84-CA25B97E73A6.jpeg

D3B36BD1-0201-44BE-8D8F-A3CA54F2B42A.jpeg

Sturgi_0225

Is the relay supposed to be 240? 
most common plugs are 120v…. That could be the issue. 

Also it would help to see pictures of the ice cube relay and your wiring 

2 hours ago, Sturgi_0225 said:

Is the relay supposed to be 240? 
most common plugs are 120v…. That could be the issue. 

Also it would help to see pictures of the ice cube relay and your wiring 

240 vs 120 would depend on where you live.

• Like 1
Kevin Buckley

The 12v support is from a 12v transformer that is wired to the coil at pins 7 and eight. The float switch wires are connected to the transformer wires by joining one (float switch) wire to  one transformer wire and twisting together. The joined wire is then connected to pin 8. The other float switch wire is connected directly to pin 7. I believe this is correct as when I use the 12v circuit without wiring 240v circuit it works. That is, the relay switches when the float is moved. The problem I have is when the mains (240v) live wire is connected from the extension lead to the relay at pins 6 and 4, the relay does not light up (when float is risen) and there is no power to the pump which is plugged into the end of the extension. 240v is the mains power in the uk. I believe it is 110v in USA.

Sturgi_0225

Have you tested it with the pump hooked up? Mine relay doesn’t light up either but pump works. When I get home I’ll try and look at mine I have the same setup just 120v 

18 hours ago, Kevin Buckley said:

The 12v support is from a 12v transformer that is wired to the coil at pins 7 and eight. The float switch wires are connected to the transformer wires by joining one (float switch) wire to  one transformer wire and twisting together. The joined wire is then connected to pin 8. The other float switch wire is connected directly to pin 7. I believe this is correct as when I use the 12v circuit without wiring 240v circuit it works. That is, the relay switches when the float is moved. The problem I have is when the mains (240v) live wire is connected from the extension lead to the relay at pins 6 and 4, the relay does not light up (when float is risen) and there is no power to the pump which is plugged into the end of the extension. 240v is the mains power in the uk. I believe it is 110v in USA.

Do you have a multimeter? Maybe a friend has one? Might have a bad extension cord. Or you have your terminals mixed up.