Cultivated Reef

Will this support 20 Gallon?

aclman88

So I found this stand and as per manufacture recommendations it says the max weight it can hold is 100 pounds. That being said, it is solid wood and it appears the legs are directly supporting the top and definitely seems much sturdier than most other stands that are made of MDF or particleboard garbage. Thoughts?

https://www.simpli-home.com/products/redmond-low-storage-cabinet

edit: derp, a link might help

You can 100% make it work, but you may have to do some work internally after you see it.

The only questions would be the joinery and fasteners and it's leveling system, if any - the wood is plenty strong. One of those is probably the reason they call it 100lbs. Those are going to be the only weaknesses and I don't see why you couldn't address them yourself if they are lacking. You can always remove the leveling system and just shim it level and can add blocking in the corners and use real screws.

If even that's not enough, you can build an internal plywood frame. I did this for my 20g when I hacked that mdf garbage stand apart to fit a sump and it held for 10 years - you are way more handy than I was back then based on your awesome projects - you'll make it work.

It will support a 20g just fine. Rubberwood furniture from Vietnam is usually good quality. 

I am a Wayfair supplier which requires me to list weight limits. I always under rate so I don't have the liability even though the product will hold much more. I'm sure the same applies with this online retailer. 

• Like 1