ReefCleaners.org

Green star polyps won't open.

konafiend

I bought green star polyps several days ago, all open at the store. Brought them home, dipped for 15 minutes and put them in my tank. All tank parameters are good. Been 3 days and I have maybe 5 polyps opening. What happened and how do I fix it?

What do you mean by all tank parameters are good?

Does your tank have measurable - are you including nutrients in water?

Nitrates . ?

Phosphates . ?

How about salinity - 1.025 ish?

What light are you using  - Are you running a reef light or just standard aquarium light?

GSP is a very forgiving coral, so no need to worry about it surviving.  It can stay dormant for a long while in zero nutrient tank and come to life in proper conditions.

Stability is also something corals need to thrive.  Any of the above swinging daily?

If tank parameters are in fact good for coral, it may just be adapting to new environment and needs a few more days.  

I've had GSP close up for 2 weeks at a time, especially the smaller polyp dark green ones, so I wouldn't worry too much. As Jakesaw mentioned, they do like water with detectable nitrates and phosphates so make sure you have measurable amounts.

Once they get settled, they will spread relentlessly and quickly to a point where some find it an invasive pest.

• Agree 2
52 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

Once they get settled, they will spread relentlessly and quickly to a point where some find it an invasive pest.

GSP is the only coral I've fragged.  Small cutting that grew over sand turned into 3 frags and they quickly grew out and are covering the sand again.  

Attractive coral but definitely needs to be isolated and managed to keep it from spreading.

• Like 1